Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delinquent accounts listed AFTER bk?

tag
lizabeth
Contributor

Delinquent accounts listed AFTER bk?

Can creditors list charge offs/lates for the months AFTER filing Ch 7?
Filed February 2011, just pulled reports today and a majority of credit accounts are showing delinquent accounts/collections/charge offs FOLLOWING my bankruptcy.
I went ahead and challenged each one of these on my report..

What are the rules regarding creditors listing delinquent info AFTER filing?

For instance, some credit cards list the months following my bankrupcy as 'closed'....
On other cards, they have me listed as 120+ days late, charge off, etc.
Do I have the right to ask that these delinquent months after filing be removed from my report?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Delinquent accounts listed AFTER bk?

Our CR's were a mess after filing BK, and it appears to be fairly common.

Accounts cannot report lates occuring after BK filing.

If an account was late before the BK filing, that info will still show.

If, for example, an account was 90 days late before filing, it will still accurately report 90 days late.

And of course, all accounts should report $0 balance.

Most of our accounts cleaned up pretty well after sending the CB's the accurate info.  A few took a little longer - a few tries.  For us, one never corrected properly and aged off the reports.

I thought it was pretty stressful - but once we got over the shock and got to work, it wasn't over-the-top bad.  Just yukky.  But cleaning up CR's after BK has to be done - at least for most folks.

Message 2 of 4
lizabeth
Contributor

Very helpful. Thank you!

Message 3 of 4
SoulMaster
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Our CR's were a mess after filing BK, and it appears to be fairly common.

Accounts cannot report lates occuring after BK filing.

If an account was late before the BK filing, that info will still show.

If, for example, an account was 90 days late before filing, it will still accurately report 90 days late.

And of course, all accounts should report $0 balance.

Most of our accounts cleaned up pretty well after sending the CB's the accurate info.  A few took a little longer - a few tries.  For us, one never corrected properly and aged off the reports.

I thought it was pretty stressful - but once we got over the shock and got to work, it wasn't over-the-top bad.  Just yukky.  But cleaning up CR's after BK has to be done - at least for most folks.

BeamMeUp nailed it.  +1.  The hardest part I had was getting them all to say IIB / Paid as opposed to "derogatory/currently late".  It took months.

I have 3 that were CO and/or transferred to others before my BK... IMO, they should be listed as IIB too, but they aren't and they aren't going to be.  I've given up on that crusade now that all the others are correct.

-SM

I am not an attorney and none of what I write should be construed as legal advice. For legal advice please consult an attorney.

Starting Score: ~470 preBK(8/2010)
Current Scores as of Late January 2016 All 700+. Last CR pull from a lender(housing) was mid-score 749.
Goal Score: 700+ - reached.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.