Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Denied for NFCU secured card with good scores and income

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Denied for NFCU secured card with good scores and income

So I applied for an unsecured card after getting a solicitation from NFCU in the mail, inviting me to apply. Was denied. Asked for reconsideration - denied.

Then I applied for a secured card - Denied.

- Lots of money in savings and checking

- High income

- 10,500 unsecured credit with 1% util

- Credit Karma equifax = 691

- FICO 8 equifax = 668

- BK7 discharged 8 months ago

- Perfect payment history before and after BK

- Did not burn them

Why do they hate me?

Message 1 of 53
52 REPLIES 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Denied for NFCU secured card with good scores and income

yep. Credit Unions get WAY too much praise on this forum. I was a member of Navy Federal for 6 years. USAA gave me better offers back in those days. just sayin so you don't feel as though you're alone here. There's thing a credit union will shoot down for instantly. I'm not sure exacty what that entails though. its frustrating.  
I noticed you didn't have Transunion score listed. Here's why I ask. My transunoin score is 100 points lower than all my other scores! Thats going to be a huge issue if it doesn't go back up after my discharge (tomorrow). May as well check your transunion, maybe?

- just to clarify, I'm no expert at ALL. In fact, I'm pretty much an idiot with credit, and the do's and don'ts. for example, I tried a capitol one auto loan pre approval application 2 days before my discharge out of impatience. (tomorrow is the official discharge). yeesh.  I was denied. No credit union will touch me for auto loans. I asked -  or credit cards, othere than secured cards. Although a secured card is the best way to start back to recovery so I've been told. 

the point is, check, and re-check your records with an advisor and keep positive.  - Hoping your scores go up, and no more denails. best of luck sir. 

Message 2 of 53
Anonymous
Not applicable

I believe that you have to wait a year past bankruptcy.  I think I read that somewhere on here.

Message 3 of 53
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I believe that you have to wait a year past bankruptcy.  I think I read that somewhere on here.

You're correct - I don't remember the exact threads but several people have pointed that out. As with anything else in credit, it's not a 100% hard-and-fast rule, as I've come across one or two cases of people being approved sooner, but one should indeed take this as a general rule of thumb and wait a year, or longer, after filing bankruptcy at least and possibly after BK discharge, before applying for new credit. In my case, I waited nearly 13 months after my BK discharge before applying for my Cap 1 secured card, and over 2 years before going to Penfed for my car loan, and was immediately approved in both instances.

Message 4 of 53
Scupra
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So I applied for an unsecured card after getting a solicitation from NFCU in the mail, inviting me to apply. Was denied. Asked for reconsideration - denied.

Then I applied for a secured card - Denied.

- Lots of money in savings and checking

- High income

- 10,500 unsecured credit with 1% util

- Credit Karma equifax = 691

- FICO 8 equifax = 668

- BK7 discharged 8 months ago

- Perfect payment history before and after BK

Why do they hate me?

Have you called to ask why you were declined? I have been away from the boards for a bit and don't know if the 1 year rule is new, but I was approved the day I was discharged. As always YMMV. I would be very curious to hear the reasoning behind your denial though

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 5 of 53
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was just referring to NFCU.  I applied for Capital One and Discover (both unsecured) the day mine was discharged and was approved.

Message 6 of 53
jeff25

I was approved for secured card through NFCU last month at 5 months post BK
Message 7 of 53
Scupra
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I was just referring to NFCU.  I applied for Capital One and Discover (both unsecured) the day mine was discharged and was approved.

I was also referring to the NFCU secured nRewards card.

801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 8 of 53
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh , sorry.

Message 9 of 53
Scupra
Super Contributor

If only we could figure out the minds of NFCU Smiley Very Happy
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
Message 10 of 53
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.