Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did I just screw myself? Advice needed.

tag
AkiraTakamedo
Valued Member

Did I just screw myself? Advice needed.

Hey all, I have two questions I'm curious about:

1. I applied to get a CLI increase with my CapOne QS1 card, and it only offered to go from $1000 to $1100. I was desparate for anything, so I accepted it. I know this doesn't impact my credit. I've learned now that they only like doing CLIs every six months. Did I just screw myself with this card for six months for only a $100 increase. CapOne said it was okay to try whenever I want, but I'm not sure. I didn't get any Credit Steps increase yet.

2. I tried to get another card and a Schwab checking account. I tried CapOne, Barclays, and Discover, and all denied me. They were all auto denials, but CapOne and Barclays did not pull my credit while Discover still pulled Equifax. The reason was an auto-denial based on Discover being included in bankruptcy, I feel they shouldn't have pulled credit for that. Schwab also pulled Equifax after I was told it would be a soft pull, then the next day when I tried to log in to set up my new brokerage, no email or anything, found out they denied my checking application and closed my brokerage. Got on the phone and was basically told 'Yeah, that person lied to you, we hard pull and we're not going to tell you why we denied you. Wait for the letter!'

So now I decided to basically say **** Schwab, opened a new brokerage with TD Ameritrade and also signed up for a Cash Management debit card. When it comes time to set up an IRA, that'll also be with TDA. I liked Schwab but that was very misleading, they missed out on my investing which was the primary reason for starting an account with them. However, my question is this - now I have two useless inquries, and there's still old ones sitting on Equifax too, I think it's up to six or seven inquiries on there now. Did I just screw myself for the next two years because of this? Can I somehow get them off by talking to Equifax?

Thank you!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Did I just screw myself? Advice needed.

No it will not affect your credit step increase if you are on steps. Usually you see the steps kick in after 5 on time payments which you get by the 7th statement.

You will have to take up the inquiry question with each creditor. If you get no where, file a complaint with the BBB. You may get good results going that route. In the meantime, two things. Always expect a HP when applying for any credit product. Lastly, don't worry so much about inquries, they are way over rated and part of your credit rebuilding process and have no significance after 12 months.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Did I just screw myself? Advice needed.

I'll disagree about inquiries. if you have too many close together, mixed with new lines of credit being opened it will look like you're pyramiding debt to creditors. Really don't do more than 3ish HPs every 6 months, anything over that will turn into a denial because you've had too many inquiries.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.