Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Didn't reaffirm vehicle.. deciding to stop payments

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Didn't reaffirm vehicle.. deciding to stop payments

Hello everyone!  I was wondering how long it might take for a lender (CPS if anyone knows anything about them) to come get a non-reaffirmed vehicle after I've stopped making payments.

Just a little background:  I was discharged from Chapter 7 BK in July 2015 and I did not reaffirm the vehicle that I've been driving for the past year.  I just found an older/cheaper vehicle in very good condition, so it's time for the non-reaffirmed car to go.  The payment is actually due today so I'll probably just call them tomorrow to make the arrangements.  I would rather not deal with them popping up in my neighborhood when I'm not prepared.  Is this a fast process?  I kind of figure since it's already included in BK they would come get it pretty quickly.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
jmclaughlin1982
Established Member

Re: Didn't reaffirm vehicle.. deciding to stop payments

I'd expect within days. When I stopped making payments on my car they called the day I missed my payment and had a tow truck there within 2 hours to take it.
BK7 filed 3/23/2016 DC 6/20/2016

Current Credit
Ally Auto-$17000| Credit Builder Loan-$1000| Secured Loan-$1000| Cap 1 Secured-$400| Kohl's-$300| Milestone-$300| Gettington/Webbank-$500

AU- Chase Freedom-$500| Cap 1 QS-$500| Amex-$2000| Walmart-$910| Target Card-$300| Kohl's-$300| Credit 1-$300
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ah that's what I was guessing. Thanks for the info!
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Honestly it depends on the CU I guess. I worked for PenFed and they always forgot until someone called them to say .. ahh you gunna pick this up??? I also worked for a few smaller CUs they were a little more on the ball, but they didn't just swoop in and take it. Generally if you call them, and they're local and you say you'll drop it off or talk with them they let you since it saves them like $300 in a repo fee.

Message 4 of 7
SSH0126
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello everyone!  I was wondering how long it might take for a lender (CPS if anyone knows anything about them) to come get a non-reaffirmed vehicle after I've stopped making payments.

Just a little background:  I was discharged from Chapter 7 BK in July 2015 and I did not reaffirm the vehicle that I've been driving for the past year.  I just found an older/cheaper vehicle in very good condition, so it's time for the non-reaffirmed car to go.  The payment is actually due today so I'll probably just call them tomorrow to make the arrangements.  I would rather not deal with them popping up in my neighborhood when I'm not prepared.  Is this a fast process?  I kind of figure since it's already included in BK they would come get it pretty quickly.

@Anonymous wrote:

Message 5 of 7
neekosmith

come Re: Didn't reaffirm vehicle.. deciding to stop payments

it took CPS almost a week to come get ours after we called them.  

Message 6 of 7
SSH0126
Established Contributor

Re: come Re: Didn't reaffirm vehicle.. deciding to stop payments

After the filing, the 341 meeting the discharge????

@neekosmith wrote:

it took CPS almost a week to come get ours after we called them.  

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.