Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Different score between the big 3

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Different score between the big 3

I'm in the process of rebuilding my credit after filing BK7 a year ago and I'm a member of myfico which gives me Transouth and Equifax scores but I get Experian through Experian's website.  My first question is can I get Experian through myfico?  my next question is about the scores.  Myfico gives the two scores and there is only two points different between the two, which I can understand, but with Experian there is a 30 point difference (lower than Myfico scores). I have called and spoken to Experian and asked for a reason and they don't know so they adjust my score at that time to a more reasonable number (still 21 points lower than Myfico scores, but when I check again at the beginning of the month, the old score is back (30 points difference).  I've made the same phone call twice with the same response and now the old score is back again.  Is this normal?  Has anyone else had this experience?  Any suggestions?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Different score between the big 3

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm in the process of rebuilding my credit after filing BK7 a year ago and I'm a member of myfico which gives me Transouth and Equifax scores but I get Experian through Experian's website.  My first question is can I get Experian through myfico?  my next question is about the scores.  Myfico gives the two scores and there is only two points different between the two, which I can understand, but with Experian there is a 30 point difference (lower than Myfico scores). I have called and spoken to Experian and asked for a reason and they don't know so they adjust my score at that time to a more reasonable number (still 21 points lower than Myfico scores, but when I check again at the beginning of the month, the old score is back (30 points difference).  I've made the same phone call twice with the same response and now the old score is back again.  Is this normal?  Has anyone else had this experience?  Any suggestions?

Hello and welcome.

This is any easy one to explain. The score you get here are true FICO scores but what Experian sells on their website is called a "Plus" score which is NOT a FICO score. In fact Experian says in their small print: "Calculated on the PLUS Score model, your Experian Credit Score indicates your  relative credit risk level for educational purposes and is not the score used by lenders"

In fact no one has been able to buy their own Experian FICO score since February of 2009. Creditors can pull Experian and also there is a CU (PSECU) in Pennsylvania that supplies that information to it's members only.

So just ignore the "credit score" you got from Experian. It is useless. The CSR at EX was either poorly trained or was purposely not telling you the truth.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks so much.....I've wasted a lot time and energy trying to figure it out.   I'm new to the forum and I really like this.  It helps hearing from others that have been there and have recovered!  Your Fico Scores are a great inspiration!!  Big Fan of the US Marine Corp  Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 4
chasmith
Valued Contributor

If you focus on cleaning up and monitoring all three reports, you don't need to keep pulling all three scores, because they'll "track" if the reports are showing the same data.  I do three things that together have worked for me:

I subscribe to Equifax Scorewatch (through NFCU, great discount).  That gives me a chance to see my Equifax FICO score as it changes.  Be careful, Equifax also sells a FAKO version of this, an Equifax Scorewatch service is also available from MyFICO.

I buy the credit monitoring service from USAA, which is basically the same as CCT I think (again, great discount).  That gives me FAKO scores for all three CRAs.  I can see if there's something different across any of the bureaus, generally I see identical FAKO scores (this service is based on Experian).  I ignore the scores except if there's a variation it tells me to look closely at the details.

Finally, once in a while I buy a MyFICO report for TU just to know where I stand, because TU's model is a bit different from EQ. 

I applied for a mortgage recently and got all three FICO scores (the only way to get an Experian FICO score).  Experian was my mid-score but all three were within 15 points of each other.

BK7 Filed 8/11/2009 Discharged 11/23/2009. Purchased new home 4/11/2012
Starting Score:11/16/2009 EQ 566 11/16/2009 TU 538
Interim Score: 12/27/2012 EQ 683 09/17/2012 EX (lender) 670 1/01/2013 TU 701
Current Score: 11/06/2013 EQ 708 11/06/2013 EX 702 11/16/2013 702 11/06/2013 TU 729
Goal Score: EQ 740 EX 740 TU 740
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.