Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discharged 7/21 American Express Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discharged 7/21 American Express Card

I have an AE card that I rarely used with a zero balance.  Almost all of my other zero balance cards have been closed by the creditor with the exception of a couple store cards.  I've been waiting for the AE card to follow suit.  I saw a soft pull from them about two weeks ago and was expecting the immediate closure.  They haven't closed it.  Is there really any possible way that this card will survive bankruptcy?  I'm really tempted to call them and ask what's up but figured that would probably be dumb.  

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

Re: Discharged 7/21 American Express Card

I think there is almost zero chance you will squeak by with an AMEX.  Sorry about that.  The good news is that if you didn't burn them, they will let you back in at five years (at least that's the policy right now).

Message 2 of 19
0REDSOX7
Valued Contributor

Once AmEx receives notice of your BK filing (they scrape the courts data), they will update your account to "Closed by Credit Grantor" when your account would normally cycle for a statement.

BK Discharge 2/11/14

Currently in the garden.
Message 3 of 19
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

Assume that it is or will be closed by Amex. Want verification without calling Amex? Try using it.

Message 4 of 19
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@CH-7-Mission-Accomplished wrote:

The good news is that if you didn't burn them, they will let you back in at five years (at least that's the policy right now).

Yep... denied my first AmEx at 4 years... approved at 5.

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 5 of 19
0REDSOX7
Valued Contributor

So, for s***s and giggles, I called up AmEx and asked if I paid back what was discharged if I would be allowed back in.

They said if I paid them off and waited the five year mark, I would be considered to be allowed to have a card (Optima product type - OASIS program) given that I had been such a long customer with them prior to filing (they lost around 10K with me but had them for 12 years...).  Not sure I'd pay back 10K just to say I have an AmEx card, but, that is what the credit rep told me today...

BK Discharge 2/11/14

Currently in the garden.
Message 6 of 19
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@0REDSOX7 wrote:

So, for s***s and giggles, I called up AmEx and asked if I paid back what was discharged if I would be allowed back in.

They said if I paid them off and waited the five year mark, I would be considered to be allowed to have a card (Optima product type - OASIS program) given that I had been such a long customer with them prior to filing (they lost around 10K with me but had them for 12 years...).  Not sure I'd pay back 10K just to say I have an AmEx card, but, that is what the credit rep told me today...

I wouldn't... LOL

I don't even use my AmEx... granted it's the Delta card which is worthless beyond flight miles... not sure what I'd do if I had a better AmEx card but as it is right now my other cards offer better rewards and are accepted everywhere which is more than I can say for AmEx.

In short... this is my first AmEx card and I really don't see what all the hype is about.  Smiley Wink

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 7 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's not closed, I checked online. Just not sure why it would stay open after a soft pull.

Message 8 of 19
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

It's not closed, I checked online. Just not sure why it would stay open after a soft pull.

That means nothing. Try to use it and get back to us with a real status.

Message 9 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CH-7-Mission-Accomplished wrote:

I think there is almost zero chance you will squeak by with an AMEX.  Sorry about that.  The good news is that if you didn't burn them, they will let you back in at five years (at least that's the policy right now).

Is this official/?^^^

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.