Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discharged... Finally

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discharged... Finally

I'm just curious I see everyone say they IIB Capital One and get approved shortly after discharged and some longer my question to you is if you don't mind sharing was you ever late with Capital One or did you have perfect payment history and how long did you have your account? (I'm just asking because I had 2 capital one cards and was never late with them but when capital one received the notice of bk they immediately closed the accounts and IIB due to their policy)

Message 11 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm just curious I see everyone say they IIB Capital One and get approved shortly after discharged and some longer my question to you is if you don't mind sharing was you ever late with Capital One or did you have perfect payment history and how long did you have your account? (I'm just asking because I had 2 capital one cards and was never late with them but when capital one received the notice of bk they immediately closed the accounts and IIB due to their policy)

@Anonymous Just before filing I was given some bad information that I should app for a secured card with Capital One.  I was erroneously advised that I would be able to retain the card through my 5 year plan - WRONG!  Immediately upon filing, Capital One closed the line.  I believe at the time there was a balance of no more than $200.  However, Capital One did not file a claim and were not paid through my plan.  Prior to discharge I had no offers on the prequal site, but the day after discharge I was matched with their platinum card, which I hope to pc to a QS.  To answer your question directly - The card had no derogatory reporting until bk filing. 
Message 12 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

***UPDATE**** 

In an effort to minimize my number of inquiries, I used the SCT to obtain a j.crew card today (Comenity was not included in bk).  Justified this by telling myself I can use it to buy clothes for work.  I also know that NFCU is going to ding me with an inquiry for membership.  Re: NFCU - It has been a week since membership docs were submitted.  I may call today (Friday) or wait until Monday/Tuesday depending how the day goes.  

Looking for card three and installment for score optimization - Continuing to research. 

Message 13 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous Just before filing I was given some bad information that I should app for a secured card with Capital One.  I was erroneously advised that I would be able to retain the card through my 5 year plan - WRONG!  Immediately upon filing, Capital One closed the line.  I believe at the time there was a balance of no more than $200.  However, Capital One did not file a claim and were not paid through my plan.  Prior to discharge I had no offers on the prequal site, but the day after discharge I was matched with their platinum card, which I hope to pc to a QS.  To answer your question directly - The card had no derogatory reporting until bk filing. 

ok thanks for the info and as far the upgrade goes you should be able to PC after 6 months, I'm testing a theory with my mom's cards I was successful with her platinum card being PC'd to a Quicksilver (she had that card for a year) but her QS1 has not hit the 6month mark and that was a no go but i will try in a few months

Message 14 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

ok thanks for the info and as far the upgrade goes you should be able to PC after 6 months, I'm testing a theory with my mom's cards I was successful with her platinum card being PC'd to a Quicksilver (she had that card for a year) but her QS1 has not hit the 6month mark and that was a no go but i will try in a few months

Thank you for that information.  I have seen some do it earlier, but I have no problem waiting 6 mos.  I want to see how things go with NFCU, and then I plan to hit the garden and nuture what I have.  I'm trying to get my scores up so that I might obtain a reasonable rate for auto financing - I've been duct-taping my 12yr old 140,000 mile car for awhile now.. and although I plan on riding her until the wheels fall off, I think the wheels may actually fall off a lot sooner than I'd like.  Please come back and let me know how you make out with your 'test'.  Nice to meet you.  

Message 15 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you for that information.  I have seen some do it earlier, but I have no problem waiting 6 mos.  I want to see how things go with NFCU, and then I plan to hit the garden and nuture what I have.  I'm trying to get my scores up so that I might obtain a reasonable rate for auto financing - I've been duct-taping my 12yr old 140,000 mile car for awhile now.. and although I plan on riding her until the wheels fall off, I think the wheels may actually fall off a lot sooner than I'd like.  Please come back and let me know how you make out with your 'test'.  Nice to meet you.  

I will keep an update for ya and it is nice to meet you to

Message 16 of 18
luxeprw9
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Congrats on your discharge!  

My CH13 discharge was in August 2016.  My rebuild has been going quite nicely.  I'm at the gardening point and just waiingt for the BK to fall off my reports in late 2018.  If I can offer one piece of advice, it would be to just be patient!  Prior to my bankruptcy I had all prime cc and I made the decision in my rebuild that I would not apply for any sub-prime or store cards.  Even if that meant no credit at all.  So let those sub-prime cards be a last resort.  

My car, which I still have, is 14 years old and has 162,000 miles. It needs some work but it still runs just fine and is solid.  I'll keep it forever!  For my new SUV,  I was able to get auto financing thru Wells Fargo at 4.99% on $26k.    I read a lot of bad reviews on CK regarding WFDS but they were mostly from people who were late on their payments or trying to make payment arrangements.  I haven't had one issue with them.  I was thinking of refinancing but since I'll be paying the vehicle off in 36 months instead of the 60 I financed it at, I'm going to stick with them a build that relationship.

Good luck and take your time!  It will all work out!!

FICO Score 8 as of 07/23/18
EQ - 770
EX - 757
TU - 741
Goal: 800
Message 17 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

***UPDATE***

TU inquiry hit today, and I received my welcome email from NFCU about 2 hours later. 

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.