cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Progress Thread- Discharged, denied for cards out of the gate.

tag
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

Re: Discharged, denied for cards out of the gate...now what

@Anonymous wrote:

********Update #11***********

So  a few things happened over the weekend:

1) I actually ended up getting a $500 CLI on my Discover card, I realized when I requested my CLI it wasn't quite 90 days yet since my last request, so I hit the luv button again on Saturday.  Its not much but its something.

@2) I gave a Honda dealer an opportunity to beat Penfeds financing rate.  I took 4 hard pulls, ouch.  But I ended up with a 3.42% rate surprisingly @ PNC of all places, and I take deliver of my Certified 2014 Honda Accord SE tomorrow :-).   I got it out the door for $16,000 which I think is a pretty good deal.   With  $1000 down I only financed $15000. The credit score the dealer showed me must have been an Auto enhanced because it had me at 732?  My scores across the board before letting them shotgun me was:  EXP - 690, TU - 665, EQ - 674

Into the garden I go until at least december, maybe then I'll take another shot at  CLI for Discover, Penfed and Cap1.  

Byronsru23,

Congratulations on the car loan. I use PNC as my main checking. I really like their Virtual Wallet. I also have a car loan and a cash rewards Visa with them.  Literally 6 months after my car loan, I had a preapproval for the Visa. Keep checking the offers tab on the website.

PNC is more conservative than most CU's, but they have been good to me.  

I have read your progress over the years, you've done a fantastic job with your rebuild.

Guyatthebeach

Message 51 of 79
Anonymous
Not applicable

******Update #12******

I successfully managed to consolidate w Fedloan with PHEAA as the servicer all of my old AES student loans, to take advantage of the Public service loan forgiveness program. I've worked in government for nearly five years, but only am now realizing that my loans could be completely forgiven within 10 years, i just had to consolodate then aoply for the PSLFP. Haha. Anyways, I sent my application for the loan forgiveness yesterday, hopefully I'll hear back in a few weeks.

I also keep reading about how people are put in a bucket with Capital One. If you join dirty, you never get much of a limit. My last two requests through them or denied. I have Christmas shopping on the way, so I figured why not. I applied for a 2nd QS card today...and...

BAM! 10,000 starting limit! I'll hit the $500 spend in no time . Plan is to keep both cards for 6mos then combine.

I also signed up for the 3B here at MyFico...note now I am 25 months post BK7 discharge...my Fico8 scores as of today:

Expedia -695
Equifax-695
Transunion-666 boooooo! Lol

Again thankyou one and all for all your help and knowledge it has given me so many more opportunities.

Message 52 of 79
Anonymous
Not applicable

How do you sign up with PenFed? I need a new account to pay my auto loan through.
Message 53 of 79
Scupra
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
How do you sign up with PenFed? I need a new account to pay my auto loan through.

You can do everything online Smiley Happy Just head to their site and follow the steps

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 54 of 79
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 55 of 79
Anonymous
Not applicable

Are they chexsystems friendly? And as a civilian how can I qualify?
Message 56 of 79
Scupra
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Are they chexsystems friendly? And as a civilian how can I qualify?

I can't speak to them being chex friendly.. When you follow the steps there should be an option to donate to an organization to gain membership eligibility.

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 57 of 79
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 58 of 79
Anonymous
Not applicable

****** UPDATE #13 ********

Requested a CLI on all my cards, except for the new Cap1QS I got.  Here's the results:

Penfed Signature Visa - Current limit: $6,000.........CLI was APPROVED, new limit $9000

NFCU Go Rewards - Current limit: $12,500.......CLI is under review

Discover IT - Current limit: $9500..... CLI was DENIED, I paid my balance down from $2200  to $800,  next paycheck this will be paid in full.  I'll try for another CLI on this next month.

Capital One QS - (My first QS) Current CLI: $3800 ....CLI I got the 2-3 day message, which has always been a decline.  I guess I made the right move by apping for the 2nd QS, this card has barely moved.  After 6months pass I'll combine this w/ the new QS I have.

Well, thats it for updates for awhile.  Unforunately my personal life is pretty much falling apart (looking like the end of a 6 year relationship / engagement unless something drastic changes soon), but I am still very proud of my accomplishments and how far I"ve come since the BK.  If the worst happens at least I know I'll be able to make it on my own credit wise in the world.

I hope everyone has a merry christmas and a happy new year.  

Message 59 of 79
Anonymous
Not applicable

****** UPDATE #14********

So I had some serious and long put off dental work that finally got done.  To the tune of $3200. I had debated opening a Carecredit card to put it on, but I don't forsee having any major unpaid medical bills (my medical insurance through work is great, just the dental coverage sucks) So I put it on my new QS card that has 0% through 6/18.  I'm starting to pay it down, but to be on the safe side (and since I wanted a low APR card anyway in case of emergencies) I decided to app for the Navy Visa Platinum (both for the low APR and for the 12mos 0% balance transfer offer they have now.

I applied on 1-19-18 and was approved yesterday @ 9.99% APR (by far my lowest APR) and a $6800 starting limit  I did just earlier today request a reconsideration of that limit to hopefully get over a 10k approval so when I do the balance transfer from my QS it'll be under 30% utilization.

I also requested CLI on my Discover and first Capital One QS and both were declined....neither of those have budged for me in awhile so I probably won't request another CLI on the Discover until at least 6mos, and I'm planning on combining the QS w/ the new QS I have in July.

As far as my personal life (relationship), it appears there's still hope there after all so I'm more optimistic then when I made my last post...we'll see what happens there.  

I'll let you all know when I hear back from Navy as far as the recon.

Message 60 of 79
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.