Did you mean: 

Discover lowered my limit——UPDATE

tag
sarge12
Senior Contributor

Re: Discover lowered my limit

@icyhot wrote:
Understood

One thing...the day you actually pay the lawyer a retainer he will likely tell you not to pay usecured creditors starting that day. He will ask you to cut up all your credit cards in front of him as he will be acting as an officer of the court and he will attest that all cards were destroyed. The courts will look very hard for any abnormally large charges for the 90 days prior to filing. This will be a stressful 3-4 months, but your life will then be much, much improved. Above all do not do anything that the court might percieve as any attempt to use cards after decision was reached to file.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 81 of 102
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@icyhot wrote:
I'm gonna do it.....I'll miss my cards and rewards but I wasn't even able to build them the way I used to because I wasn't PIFing, thanks for all the help. This will free up cash that my baby really needs

And icyhot, I think you're making the correct decsion. This will give you an opportunity to breathe, reflect, and rejuvenate. Everyone deserves a second chance. And since you are only 25, you'll be 32 -- still quite young to get a new start in life.

Just make sure as others have noted, get a good BK attorney, not a "fly by the seat of your pants" one. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 82 of 102
sarge12
Senior Contributor

@CreditInspired wrote:

@icyhot wrote:
I'm gonna do it.....I'll miss my cards and rewards but I wasn't even able to build them the way I used to because I wasn't PIFing, thanks for all the help. This will free up cash that my baby really needs

And icyhot, I think you're making the correct decsion. This will give you an opportunity to breathe, reflect, and rejuvenate. Everyone deserves a second chance. And since you are only 25, you'll be 32 -- still quite youngto get a new start in life.

Just make sure as others have noted, get a good BK attorney, not a "fly by the seat of your pants" one. 

35...ch.7 remains on report for 10 years, ch.13 is 7 years.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 83 of 102
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@icyhot wrote:
Would it be ethical to charge things I've been needing but holding off on before I file? I know that's what got me in this predicament, but if I'm going to lose the card anyway, I may as well use it?

IT WOULD BE HIGHLY UNETHICAL!!!!!!! And could cause huge problems for you. Please do NOT, for your sake, even consider going down this path. Just saying it out loud is a problem!

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 84 of 102
NRB525
Super Contributor

@sarge12 wrote:

@icyhot wrote:
Would it be ethical to charge things I've been needing but holding off on before I file? I know that's what got me in this predicament, but if I'm going to lose the card anyway, I may as well use it?

NOOOO IT WOULD NOT ONLY BE UNETHICAL....It will probably cause that portion of the debt to be non-dischargable, and possibly lead to dismising the bankruptcy.

Agreed, Adding new charges now when you anticipate filing for BK will cause problems. OP needs to stop using the credit cards, as in Full Stop. No rent, no groceries, Uber gas, nothing.

This is why I think it is too soon for OP to jump on the BK bus. There have not been any months of missed payments yet. OP has not switched to cash-in-hand payments yet.

It is probably best to start paying cash for the basic necessities, such as rent, food, diapers and such. Continue to make minimum payments on the cards if you can, but as cash gets earmarked for essentials rather than using credit for those essentials, late payments or missed payments may be a reality. That is one proof point for the BK court, showing you are just making minimum living costs with existing cash.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 85 of 102
Anonymous
Not applicable

@icyhot wrote:

Time to weigh in ... be very careful about charging and taking on new debt (at least until you see a licensed attorney at law in bankruptcy) as it could be construed as a potential fraud on the creditors by the Bankruptcy Court Trustee. This is where the attorney can provide you guidance. One poster mentioned you generally are able to get a first visit with an attorney for bankruptcy at no cost (free) ... this may help you to get the overall legal picture of your situation and aide you with enough facts as to decide what course of action is best for you and your child (may be it would not be bankruptcy?). The advice is useful. Speak with experience and it was my decision to seek BK7. It freed me from a huge amount of debt and yes I could not squeeze credit from many lenders for years afterwords (note the no credit availability seems to be somewhat on a personal basis - know of some people who did not take years to re-establish themselves). Had to sign a "Reaffirmation Agreement" on the automobile and I had long since deserted owning a residential dwelling or even thinking about it. Home ownership came back much later.

Message 86 of 102
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@icyhot wrote:

Time to weigh in ... be very careful about charging and taking on new debt (at least until you see a licensed attorney at law in bankruptcy) as it could be construed as a potential fraud on the creditors by the Bankruptcy Court Trustee. This is where the attorney can provide you guidance. One poster mentioned you generally are able to get a first visit with an attorney for bankruptcy at no cost (free) ... this may help you to get the overall legal picture of your situation and aide you with enough facts as to decide what course of action is best for you and your child (may be it would not be bankruptcy?). The advice is useful. Speak with experience and it was my decision to seek BK7. It freed me from a huge amount of debt and yes I could not squeeze credit from many lenders for years afterwords (note the no credit availability seems to be somewhat on a personal basis - know of some people who did not take years to re-establish themselves). Had to sign a "Reaffirmation Agreement" on the automobile and I had long since deserted owning a residential dwelling or even thinking about it. Home ownership came back much later.

That was me who gave the advice about free consultation sessions with BK attorneys. Smiley Happy As far as regaining creditworthiness goes, it varies so much from person to person that giving general advice can be rather difficult sometimes. All I can do is point to my own example; I didn't seriously think about even getting a secured card until I had gotten a new full-time job and a year had passed since my BK discharge, and another year-plus passed after that before I judged based on my scores (and lenders concurred) that I could be considered a good enough credit risk again to get a Discover It and two other unsecured CC's, and a used-car loan at a decent rate. At that, I'm now gardening for another four to five months or so to let my profile build before I try any more apps, and then only for CC's that are reasonably BK-friendly/willing to approve on in-person/phone recon if initially denied online.

Message 87 of 102
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

+1 Dinosaur
I didn't even think of the possible fraud implication/possibility, which OP, is real!

Message 88 of 102
icyhot
Valued Contributor

Ok I just switched all my bills to my debit card and I'm gonna stop charging as of tomorrow. Should I stop making payments now? How long should I wait to file so nothing looks like fraud (it's not, just don't want it to look that way)
Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 89 of 102
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@icyhot wrote:
Ok I just switched all my bills to my debit card and I'm gonna stop charging as of tomorrow. Should I stop making payments now? How long should I wait to file so nothing looks like fraud (it's not, just don't want it to look that way)

As others have stated, once you've made a decision, consult with a BK attorney first and explain everything about your situation, and then follow his/her advice.

Message 90 of 102
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.