Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disputing Inquiries?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Disputing Inquiries?

is it possible to dispute an inquiry? I have written proof from the company that it was supposed to be a soft pull, yet it shows as an inquiry on my report (2 times on the same day, even!). Would I be better off disputing directly with the creditor?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

Re: Disputing Inquiries?

Good luck with that.

You should expect HP's and nothing less with any credit app. Half the time reps don't even know the differences between SP and HP.

I once tried to dispute an INQ with EQ because Comcast pulled my credit twice in the same day... I got "an inquiry is a factual record of access to your credit report.  Please take this up with the original creditor."

I didn't bother... unless you are dealing with identity theft you are facing an uphill battle.

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 2 of 8
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

You can try asking the creditor to remove it based on what you were told. Actually disputing it isnt going to get you anywhere as stated.

Message 3 of 8
bstone
Frequent Contributor

I disagree.  What harm is there to dispute it?  None.  I've disputed plenty of things on my credit as "not mine" or "no knowledge of account" or something similar, sometimes they confirm and stay, oftentimes they are removed completely.

I recently disputed about a dozen items on my credit, and half were removed completely the remainder were updated to the correct status.

When I disputed electronically there was an option to dispute inquiries, addresses, basically everything.  It may not result in anything, but why not try?

NFCU Rewards - $18,000, NFCU Signature - $18,000, NFCU LOC - $15,000, Care Credit - $7,700, Lowe's - $6,400, Capital One QS - $5,000, Walmart - $5,000, Amazon - $4,000
Message 4 of 8
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@bstone wrote:

I disagree.  What harm is there to dispute it?  None.  I've disputed plenty of things on my credit as "not mine" or "no knowledge of account" or something similar, sometimes they confirm and stay, oftentimes they are removed completely.

I recently disputed about a dozen items on my credit, and half were removed completely the remainder were updated to the correct status.

When I disputed electronically there was an option to dispute inquiries, addresses, basically everything.  It may not result in anything, but why not try?

In order to dispute an item one must have a legitimate reason for disputing it, disputing items that you know are yours as not mine etc is not an approved method. If you are doing business with a creditor they have the legal right to pull an HP at any time though most do pull SPs for account reviews.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@gdale6 wrote:

You can try asking the creditor to remove it based on what you were told. Actually disputing it isnt going to get you anywhere as stated.

Thanks. That was my initial intent. I have a document that says explicitly that it will not impact my credit score, so I hope they'll drop it.

Message 6 of 8
Taoron
Frequent Contributor

Hmmm.  What about collection agencies doing HPs out of no where?  I had one do that to me in 2013.  It should fall off next month, but dang.. I thought places needed your permission to do a HP.

Message 7 of 8
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Taoron wrote:

Hmmm.  What about collection agencies doing HPs out of no where?  I had one do that to me in 2013.  It should fall off next month, but dang.. I thought places needed your permission to do a HP.

If you owe a debt and a CA has it, they have PP to pull your file at any time, this can happen even years past SOL & CRTP. Once it passes SOL and CRTP is a zombie and I would negotiate with them to settle for no more than 20% of whats owed, even though they cant report it any more they can attempt collection forever in all states except 2 (WI & MS) have laws that stop all collection activity on a debt that has hit SOL.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.