Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disputing accounts prior to discharge

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Disputing accounts prior to discharge

Is there any reason not to dispute accounts that still aren't showing up as 0 balance and IIB on my reports? My discharge is less than a month away, and about 90% of my accounts are already correctly showing $0 balance and IIB. Between my spouse and I, there are maybe 4-5 accounts that haven't been updated. On some of them, they've updated the main cardholder, but not the authorized user. On some of the others, they've updated some CRA, but not all 3.

It's not that I'm in a huge rush to clean up my report... my concern is that I'm going to need to finance a replacement vehicle within a week of discharge and I don't want my already low score to be  even worse due to incorrectly reporting accounts.  This might make the difference between a bad rate and a REALLY bad rate. I plan to payoff or refinance to a much better rate within a year, so even if I end up with a terrible rate, it won't be for long!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

Re: Disputing accounts prior to discharge

@Anonymous wrote:

Is there any reason not to dispute accounts that still aren't showing up as 0 balance and IIB on my reports? My discharge is less than a month away, and about 90% of my accounts are already correctly showing $0 balance and IIB. Between my spouse and I, there are maybe 4-5 accounts that haven't been updated. On some of them, they've updated the main cardholder, but not the authorized user. On some of the others, they've updated some CRA, but not all 3.

It's not that I'm in a huge rush to clean up my report... my concern is that I'm going to need to finance a replacement vehicle within a week of discharge and I don't want my already low score to be  even worse due to incorrectly reporting accounts.  This might make the difference between a bad rate and a REALLY bad rate. I plan to payoff or refinance to a much better rate within a year, so even if I end up with a terrible rate, it won't be for long!

Don't be in such a rush to dispute. Wait until 30 days after you have received your dicharge and then pull your three reports for review and verification of reprting. Creditors are under no obligation to have their reporting reflecting a discharge when not has been issued. Also, some cases are dismissed before a discharge. Use the waiting time to define a rebuid strategy and start executing that strategy the day that yu receive your discharge.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I understand your concern about your vehicle, but until discharge, there is really nothing to dispute. After discharge you can take a look. One thing to remember is that you can refinance your car loan after your scores have recovered some. Just make sure you get a car you can handle the payments on, show good payment history on it and work on your scores. Good luck!

Message 3 of 5
Pway
Valued Contributor

Agreed with the others here wait until you are discharged.

Thank you for the wealth of knowledge I have learned from these forums. I am logging off as of November 9, 2022. I wish everyone great success.
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the responses, all. I will just wait it out and hope for the best!

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.