cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do all Credit Unions deny you until after your bankruptcy is discharged?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do all Credit Unions deny you until after your bankruptcy is discharged?

I tried to join a local credit union, but they said I had to wait until my chapter 7 is discharged. Is that the same with all CUs?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Scupra
Super Contributor

Re: Do all Credit Unions deny you until after your bankruptcy is discharged?

I can't speak for them all but NFCU let me join, just would extend credit (even secured) until d/c.

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 2 of 7
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

The CU's I am familiar with would not extend any credit until 2 years post discharge.  However, I assume that varies from CU to CU.  As to joining - there was no issue at all but I never was on chex or anything similar.

Are you on chexsystems or early warning?  Have you had those items cleared? 

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I secured a used-car loan at Penfed with no trouble, but that was about 2 years and 3 months after my Chapter 7 BK was discharged. I'm planning to apply for a Visa from them, hopefully their new Power Cash Rewards, in September or thereabouts once my newer accounts have had time to age at least a few months and generate some payment history.  A lot of CU's can be quite friendly to rebuilders, given that their comparatively small scale as contrasted to the big national banks and credit-card issuers allows them to deliver much more personally-oriented customer service and underwriting, but it will vary from place to place.

Message 4 of 7
stinastina
Established Contributor

I second Navy Federal. There is a thread with detailed instructions on how to join legitimately as a civilian.

BK7 Discharge 1/16
10/15 ~ EQ: 406; TU: 520
10/18 ~ EX: 666; TU: 646; EQ: 652
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@stinastina wrote:

I second Navy Federal. There is a thread with detailed instructions on how to join legitimately as a civilian.

If you meant the San Diego Navy League backdoor, that way is now closed. Navy Fed shut it off earlier this month. You can only join as a civilian now at this point if you're (1) a Federal Government employee who works for the Department of Defense or on a military installation, or (2) you have a relative in your immediate family who is or has been a member of the military, and thus eligible to be a NFCU member (they don't have to actually be NFCU members themselves).

Message 6 of 7
stinastina
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@stinastina wrote:

If you meant the San Diego Navy League backdoor, that way is now closed. Navy Fed shut it off earlier this month. You can only join as a civilian now at this point if you're (1) a Federal Government employee who works for the Department of Defense or on a military installation, or (2) you have a relative in your immediate family who is or has been a member of the military, and thus eligible to be a NFCU member (they don't have to actually be NFCU members themselves).

How sad ! I had been bugging my friend to join this way for months and she totally missed out !

BK7 Discharge 1/16
10/15 ~ EQ: 406; TU: 520
10/18 ~ EX: 666; TU: 646; EQ: 652
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.