cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anybody know if you can get your college transcripts if you've listed them in your Bk?

tag
missgaonmymind
Contributor

Does anybody know if you can get your college transcripts if you've listed them in your Bk?

I wanted to find out if anyone has had this situation before. I owe the school where I was finishing my degree about $1800. I ended up owing because they assured my I had enough financial aid to cover me only to find out midway through the quarter that I didn't. Now they won't release my transcripts to me. I've read a couple of places that you may be able to get them if you've filed BK and have listed them. Can anyone give me some insight?

Current score post Ch 7 10/28/14 discharge : EQ: 729 TU 737 EX 725
Goal scores: 800

Chase Sapphire Preferred- $14k Capital One Venture- $10k; Capital One Spark Business- $5k; Discover IT: $11k, Discover Chrome- $14.5k; Navy Federal Cash Rewards- $7.1k; Navy Federal Go Rewards- $12.4k; AMEX Gold; AMEX SkyMiles Plat- $5k; Macy’s AMEX- $12k
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Does anybody know if you can get your college transcripts if you've listed them in your Bk?

Did the school file suit? Is there a public record? 

Message 2 of 6
danibaby89
Valued Member

Re: Does anybody know if you can get your college transcripts if you've listed them in your Bk?

I was in the same situation. Once I was discharged I sent a copy of my list of creditor and placed and asterisk next to the school name and I also sent my discharge papers. It took about 2 weeks because they have never dealt with a student who file bk before so they had to talk with the head to make sure I was good. But by law if they are included in your bk and you are discharged ,they have to comply . Best of luck to you. 

BK Chap 7 filed 6/27/14
341 Meeting 7/25/14
Discharged 9/30/14
Starting Score: 496
Current Score: 509 (Equifax)578 (Experian)
Goal Score: 700 ALL

Message 3 of 6
bstone
Frequent Contributor

As long as it's a debt due to underpayment (you not being able to pay your tuition as agreed) as opposed to overpayment (you owing the school federal money back for classes you didn't finish) you should be fine.

If you use federal student loans and/or grants and don't complete the semester you have to repay the federal loans/grants to the school as they have to return them to the DOE.  If it's a federal loan/grant overpayment it's not dischargeable.

NFCU Rewards - $18,000, NFCU Signature - $18,000, NFCU LOC - $15,000, Care Credit - $7,700, Lowe's - $6,400, Capital One QS - $5,000, Walmart - $5,000, Amazon - $4,000
Message 4 of 6
missgaonmymind
Contributor

Thanks everyone. The debt has been discharged. Danibaby89, I will do as you did.

Chase Sapphire Preferred- $14k Capital One Venture- $10k; Capital One Spark Business- $5k; Discover IT: $11k, Discover Chrome- $14.5k; Navy Federal Cash Rewards- $7.1k; Navy Federal Go Rewards- $12.4k; AMEX Gold; AMEX SkyMiles Plat- $5k; Macy’s AMEX- $12k
Message 5 of 6
missgaonmymind
Contributor

MrOUOKC, there wasn't anything filed by the school.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.