Involver
Valued Contributor

Re: Does bankruptcy mean...

No.

Message 2 of 8
Dw4250
Valued Contributor

Certainly not.  In fact bankruptcy laws are meant to prevent catastrophic events like eviction from one's home.  My understanding of bankruptcy is it is a legal remedy to get out from under crushing debt burden.  It is an involved and fairly expensive process (you will need a lawyer) and should be used as an absolute last resort.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

But won't someone need to sell their assets to pay off all the debts?

Message 4 of 8
Dw4250
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Bankruptcy laws protect people from exactly that.  Pre-bankruptcy, people did have to sell off their assets and were destitute/homeless.  Some even went to prison (debtor jail).

Message 5 of 8
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Dw4250 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Bankruptcy laws protect people from exactly that.  Pre-bankruptcy, people did have to sell off their assets and were destitute/homeless.  Some even went to prison (debtor jail).

+1.   Being formally bankrupt allows you to NOT pay off the debts (or at least delay the payment way past the time demanded by the creditors).  It provides protection for an individual or company to attempt to recover without being wiped out by creditor demands

Message 6 of 8
compassion101
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I thought this same thing 12 years ago before my BK. I thought they were gonna come to my apt and take all my furniture. But that isn't the case. You get to keep any retirement accounts, your personal belongings, and usually your house and a reasonable amount in your bank account. If you are renting then your lease stays in effect.

Message 7 of 8
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

I just bought a new house BECAUSE I did ch7 bankruptcy and started over ... "fresh start" so to speak. Creditors wish that everyone believed the myths and scary stories about availing yourself of an opportunity for a fresh start made possible by the bankruptcy laws.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.