cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does your credit score increase when you file for bankruptcy?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does your credit score increase when you file for bankruptcy?

Hello,

I filed for bankruptcy a while back and recently I noticed that my credit score increased from 523 to 612. Am I missing something here? I thought bankruptcy was supposed to drop your credit score anywhere between 100-200 points depending on the type of credit. 

I would appreciate any advise or opinions on this.

Thank you

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

Re: Does your credit score increase when you file for bankruptcy?

Wishful thinking.

Don't worry... Your score will tank back into the 500s soon.
FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ours never really tanked, I'm not sure why. It went up slightly and then dropped a little. About 50 points for both me and my husband. He was able to get a used car loan 3 months after discharge and 2 Cap One cards at 3k each. I don't get it either. 

Message 3 of 7
0REDSOX7
Valued Contributor

Mine went up.

It's documented that they will tank when the public record hits yours report, but as lenders start updating the accounts to a zero balance and snow IIB, then they can go up. Plus, some lenders delete your payment history, so, if you had poor payment history prior, it is almost guaranteed you will see a slight uptick in your score.
BK Discharge 2/11/14

Currently in the garden.
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

My credit has also gone up a lot since I filed BK7. Before I filed my credit was around 568 and when I filed it went down to 509. But ever since it has just been going up. It has been 3 months since I filed BK7 and my credit score is at 635 right now. Currently with all my debts at 0. So I have no debts at all. I have not received my discharge yet which I should be getting any time now.

So my credit has already dropped due to the BK but ever since it has increased. 

So will it drop again or is this where it will stay at?

Everything on my report is showing BK7 and it is showing on public records as well.

Message 5 of 7
0REDSOX7
Valued Contributor

As mentioned in your other post - if all your accounts are showing as a zero balance and IIB, then you can't really expect any further drop in your score.

Obviously, rebuilding (inquiries, new accounts, etc) will cause a slight drop in your score - but that is par for the course.

BK Discharge 2/11/14

Currently in the garden.
Message 6 of 7
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.