Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Doubling exemption question.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Doubling exemption question.

We live in Michigan and will likely be using federal exemptions for our case. I have already emailed our attorney about a couple other things in the last couple of weeks so wonder if anyone can help with a quick question.

We have two cars. One is worth about $1000 and the other is worth $5000. We own both outright and both are in both my and my husbands names. Can we double the federal exemption which would exempt both vehicles? Anyone have experience with this? We need (or would at least very much would like) both vehicles so I'm just trying to figure out what our options are.

TIA!!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
0REDSOX7
Valued Contributor

Re: Doubling exemption question.

You have available to you what is called the wildcard exemption - so see if that is available to you...
BK Discharge 2/11/14

Currently in the garden.
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you. For some reason I wasn't thinking about the car being able to be part of that!

Message 3 of 4
0REDSOX7
Valued Contributor

Obviously, it all depends ony our personal finances and circumstances - but for us, we put our expected tax return in our wildcard exemption which allowed us to keep it when it came in Smiley Happy

BK Discharge 2/11/14

Currently in the garden.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.