Credit Card Center Advertiser Disclosure

0 Kudos

Early discharge from Ch13

Hi,
I'm about 1 year into a 60 ch13 bankruptcy plan. Nearly 100% of my debt is student loans. I entered ch13 to avoid the consequences of a USDA mortgage liquidation. My student loans are ~40k. When interviewing attorneys to handle my chapter 13, one attorney told me that they'd I would be able enter ch13 just long enough to surrender my USDA backed mortgage, this attorney also told me I wouldn't qualify for a chapter 7. I ended up hiring an attorney who told me they think I might be able to qualify for a ch7. Shortly into the process my chapter 7 was rejected and I was forced into a 13 due to my income. I asked my current attorney about the possibility of ending my ch13 early to which the response was "paying it off early". A quick search shows quite a bit of confusion on this. Some seems to think I'd qualify for a discharge since my student debt is not dischargable and would still be mine to pay.

Can anyone share a second opinion?

Thanks.

Starting Score: 524
Current Score: 524
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Established Contributor
0 Kudos

Re: Early discharge from Ch13

Are you just trying to walk away from house?  If so ask the lender if they will let you dil or short sale? These won't hurt as hard as a foreclosure but still hurt. Usually you need loss of income to qualify or other major event.  A straight foreclosure  hurts both credit worse and your mind.  Most banks really don't want the house they will try to work with you. 

Contributor

hd_apk wrote:
Hi,
I'm about 1 year into a 60 ch13 bankruptcy plan. Nearly 100% of my debt is student loans. I entered ch13 to avoid the consequences of a USDA mortgage liquidation. My student loans are ~40k. When interviewing attorneys to handle my chapter 13, one attorney told me that they'd I would be able enter ch13 just long enough to surrender my USDA backed mortgage, this attorney also told me I wouldn't qualify for a chapter 7. I ended up hiring an attorney who told me they think I might be able to qualify for a ch7. Shortly into the process my chapter 7 was rejected and I was forced into a 13 due to my income. I asked my current attorney about the possibility of ending my ch13 early to which the response was "paying it off early". A quick search shows quite a bit of confusion on this. Some seems to think I'd qualify for a discharge since my student debt is not dischargable and would still be mine to pay.

Can anyone share a second opinion?

Thanks.

Are you doing a 100% payment plan in the Chapter 13 or is it less than what the creditors wants?

If it's 100% I believe you can pay it off early if you have the money.  If it's a percentage of what you owe you most likley will not be able to get a discharge early.  If you are able to pay that amount the trustee will think you have more money and could possibly ask for more each month.

Equifax - 644
TransUnion - 641
Experian - 639
Highlighted
0 Kudos

I'm paying 100%, and with that all being federal student loans I'd not be discharged from it. Im wondering if I can exit the BQ once my dischargable debt is payed. Thanks

Starting Score: 524
Current Score: 524
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Regular Contributor
0 Kudos

hd_apk wrote:
I ended up hiring an attorney who told me they think I might be able to qualify for a ch7. Shortly into the process my chapter 7 was rejected and I was forced into a 13 due to my income. I asked my current attorney about the possibility of ending my ch13 early to which the response was "paying it off early". . . I'm paying 100%, and with that all being federal student loans I'd not be discharged from it. Im wondering if I can exit the BQ once my dischargable debt is payed.

I assume you were over median income and failed the means test. If so, your commitment period is 60 months and you cannot “complete” the Chapter 13 in less than 60 months unless you pay ALL allowed claims in full. It does not matter if that “allowed claim” is of the type that is “non dischargeable”.

Des.

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

† Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
‡ Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

* For complete information, see the terms and conditions on the credit card issuer’s website. Once you click apply for this card, you will be directed to the issuer’s website where you may review the terms and conditions of the card before applying. While myFICO always strives to present the most accurate information, we show a summary to help you choose a product, not the full legal terms - and before applying you should understand the full terms of products as stated by the issuer itself.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.