Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners
New Visitor

FHA Loan after Chapter 13 discharge

Does anyone know what the new law is for the FHA waiting period after you are discharged from Chapter 13?  We are trying to buy a house and we were discharged from Chapter 13 8/13/09.  We had two different underwriters tell us back in May of this year that due to new laws we have to be discharged 2 years before we can qualify for FHA and 5 years before we can qualify for conventional.  We are talking to another bank right now and they are telling us it shouldn't be a problem.  I just want to put this bankruptcy behind me and move on.  Can someone help?  What bank(s) should I be talking to?

Epic Contributor

Re: FHA Loan after Chapter 13 discharge

This is directly from the FHA website:

CHAPTER 13 BANKRUPTCY

FHA will consider appoving a borrower who is still paying on a Chapter 13 Bankruptcy if those payments have been satisfactorily made and verified for a period of one year. The court trustee's written approval will also be needed in order to proceed with the loan. The borrower will have to give a full explanation of the bankruptcy with the loan application and must also have re-established good credit, qualify financially and have good job stability

Moderator Emeritus

Great guiness - nothing like going right to the source for good solid info.

Guiness' post confirms our experience - we were able to look at refinancing our mortgage while still in BK 13, but didn't like the numbers.  We discharged in 2/09 and refinanced in, I think, 9/09.  No problems - great rate.

Just puttin' syrup on something, don't make it pancakes.
tjb
New Visitor

[ Edited ]

When buying  home after Bankruptcy, the following is needed:

1. Bankruptcy Discharge letter

2. 2-3 established tradelines ( can be alternative credit i.e.. Utility bills, Cell phone, Auto insurance)

The length of time since the bankruptcy is not a factor since it was been discharged.  The requirement is that the Bankruptcy file date must  be at least 12 months ago.  Therefore, since you are discharged, I am sure that it has been at least 3 to 5 years. 

Edited

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.