Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failing to Update Pre-discharge Credit Reporting Does Not Violate BK Code

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Failing to Update Pre-discharge Credit Reporting Does Not Violate BK Code

I found this posting on myfaircredit.com regarding the non-updating of debts discharged in bankruptcy by creditors. It seems in ruling after ruling the act of failing to act in updating pre-discharge debts with the CBs does not constitute an act of collection, if not coupled with other acts such as phone calls and letters attempting to collect a discharged debt.

My question is, once you have disputed the innaccurate entries on your credit report with the bureaus and the creditor "verifies" the debt as "accurate," (specifically, debts that show a balance due), and you send a CMRRR to the creditor advising them the debt was discharged in bankruptcy, if they still fail to show the debt as IIB with a zero balance, could that then truly be construed as a attempt to collect a debt, or otherwise violate the bankruptcy code and/or the FCRA? Do we actually have ANY recourse to ensure our credit reports are accurate based on these judgements (posted below)? I have been disputing and following all the steps I've learned on this board and elsewhere. When an innacurate tradeline is "verified" as "accurate," (i.e. Charge Off, balance due 563, as opposed to IIB, balance 0 on tradelines discharged through BK), I'm wondering if the creditors can continue, with impunity, to report inaccurate information because it was accurate before the BK and there is no law forcing them to update the entry with the CBs. I have already disputed these items twice and sent the CMRRRs to the OCs and CAs. I'm waiting on a response from those letters. Just how many times must one dispute? How many months do the creditors and CBs have to correct this information and, if they don't, am I just out of luck?

Hickson v. Home Fed. of Atlanta, 805 F.Supp. 1567, 1573 (N.D, Ga. 1992) (granting creditor's motion to dismiss §362 claim, noting that "§362 contains no language prohibiting creditors or any other party from making legitimate reports to credit agencies regarding parties that have filed for bankruptcy"); Vogt v. Dynamic Recovery Services, 257 B.R. 65, 70-1 (D. Col. 2000) (dismissing case on motion for default judgment, holding that a creditor's reporting a debtor's debt still due and owing, notwithstanding the order of discharge in the plaintiffs' bankruptcy case, is not, "standing alone...'an act' to effect collection of the debt"); in re Irby, 337 B.R 293. 296 (N.D. Ohio 2005) (denying plaintiff's motion for default, "since the act [of reporting a debt] itself does not violate the discharge injunction, the reporting of the debt will not likely run afoul with the discharge injunction unless it is also coupled with other actions undertaken by the creditor to collect or recover on the debt"); In re Bruno. 356 BR 89, 93 (Bankr. W D N.Y. 2006) (granting motion to dismiss, holding that the creditor's "failure to notify a credit reporting agency that its pre-petition report of an account delinquency has ended in a bankruptcy discharge does not violate 11 U.S C §524"); and most recently, In re Mahoney. 2007 WL 1217851, *10-13 (Bankr. W.D. Tex. 2007) (granting summary judgment where debtor failed to offer any competent evidence that a creditor's furnishing of credit information was debt collection). These cases consistently hold that there is no violation of §362 or §524 where the only allegation of prohibited debt collection is that a pre-petition creditor did not update credit information furnished pre-petition about a defaulted debt after the debtor filed for bankruptcy protection and received a discharge.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Failing to Update Pre-discharge Credit Reporting Does Not Violate BK Code

I think I found the answer to my question. Seems it depends on the court.

"Bankruptcy courts have awarded damages due to incorrect and misleading credit reporting under numerous legal theories, including violation of the discharge injunction and automatic stay provisions of the Bankruptcy Code, as well as violation of the federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (“FDCPA”) and Fair Credit Reporting Act (“FCRA”). However, application of these laws varies within the court system. 

The bankruptcy discharge injunction “operates as an injunction against the commencement or continuation of an action, the employment of process of an act to collect, recover or offset any such debt as a personal liability of the debtor, whether or not such discharge is waived.” One line of bankruptcy cases has held that in addition to the erroneous credit reporting, a creditor must perform some other overt act to collect the discharged debt in order to violate the discharge injunction. These courts reason that the Bankruptcy Code does not require a creditor to take an affirmative step to notify credit reporting agencies that a debt has been discharged. These courts do not view the mere carryover of the pre-discharge debt on the credit report as an attempt to collect the debt. 

A contrary line of cases rejects the requirement of an additional overt act by the creditor, and holds that incorrect credit reporting alone can be a violation of the discharge injunction. Some courts have inferred an attempt to collect from a creditor’s refusal to update its credit reporting post-discharge. Courts have held that the failure to report a debt as “discharged” or “individual in bankruptcy” with a “zero” balance on the account after a debtor has had his debt discharged may constitute a violation of FCRA, the discharge injunction or both."

http://www.poynerspruill.com/publications/Pages/CreditReportingInvitingTrouble.aspx

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.