Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filed Ch 13 in October 2016

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Filed Ch 13 in October 2016

I was doing good with my credit...bought a house in 2015 (under my name) and got some nice credit cards afterwards...fast forward to Oct 2016...relationship went sour...he moved out and I was stuck with debt that I couldn't afford to pay on my own so I made the decision to file Chapter 13. I had previously filed Ch 7 in 2009. Attorney stated I couldn't file Ch 7 again, but I could file Ch 13 which I did...he did suggest converting it to a Ch 7 when my 8 years was up which would be November of this year. I probably will do that.

Anyhow, I burned alot of good creditors in my filing. $60k worth from the following creditors: Penfed, AMEX, Discover, CareCredit, Cap1, and Synchrony. It's hard living month to month now, but its for the better. I hope that once my case converts to a Ch 7 and is discharged that someone would give me another chance. It totally sucked filing again and I was disappointed at myself for not being financially responsibile since I was doing so good.

Any words of advice? Suggestions? It'll be greatly appreciated!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
stellar
Established Contributor

Re: Filed Ch 13 in October 2016

We come into this life clueless and as we walk through it, we are not expected to walk perfectly, but to try things and make mistakes.  And hopefully learn from those mistakes.

Our mistakes help us learn and grow.  With that knowledge we can also teach others, or just have empathy for them, or help them through a similar difficulty.

If we did everything perfectly, we would become pretty arrogant.  Mistakes help us to stay humble and not be so judgmental of others when they stumble.

So don't be too hard on yourself.  Focus every day on doing something positive and productive and you will get through this.

Message 2 of 5
despritfreya
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I made the decision to file Chapter 13. I had previously filed Ch 7 in 2009. Attorney stated I couldn't file Ch 7 again, but I could file Ch 13 which I did...he did suggest converting it to a Ch 7 when my 8 years was up which would be November of this year.  It's hard living month to month now. . . I hope that once my case converts to a Ch 7 and is discharged. . . Any words of advice? Suggestions?

Yes, advice.  Go back to that attny and find out why he/she told you that converting your case to a 7 will get you a discharge.  While you can convert (dumb) you will not get a discharge since your current Chapter 13 filing date is within the 8 years of the Chapter 7 filing date.  Converting to a 7 does not change the filing date.  You will have to dismiss the 13 and file a new case under Chapter 7 once the 8 years fully runs.  My guess is that you misunderstood your attny when he/she told you that you can remain in the 13 until the 8 years runs and then dismiss the 13 and file a new 7.

Des.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you. I'll ask for clarification.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree, we are all humans and we wouldn't be if we didn't make any mistakes. I have absolutely learned this time around and will make sure that I dont make the same mistake in the future.

Thanks so much!

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.