Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filed Chapter 7 Today

tag
kiea
Frequent Contributor

Filed Chapter 7 Today

I decided to file today but it wasn't a easy decision.  I don't have much credit card debt but I have a repo from Capital One reporting $7,162 and Hunter Warfield (the creditor from hell) is reporting in the amount of 2,367... the other 11 delinquent accounts on my credit are a few hundred to thousand dollars.  The total of my unsecured accounts is a little over 15,000.  I also have 73,000 in student loans that I haven't paid a dime on.  Although my unsecured debt is not that much I haven't been able to pay anything because I have been out of work for 7 months.  2 months ago I was facing eviction (I used my income taxes to pay my back rent and thankfully I am able to stay in my apartment), Midland Funding served me with court papers for a 3 year old credit card balance, and Capital One Auto started sending me letters requesting for me to pay 700.00 a month towards my balance to settle the account (I was worried about getting sued by them too).  It all became to much for me as I am a single mother as well. 

I hope within the next few months I can obtain employment, rebuild my credit and finally start to make payments towards my student loans.

Start of rebuild July 2021

January 2022
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Filed Chapter 7 Today

Never an easy decision, but you had to do what you had to do to keep a roof over your head and take care of your child/children. 

Good luck on your journey!

Message 2 of 5
kiea
Frequent Contributor

Thank you.  I actually feel good about my decision.  I know I probably had other options but at least I don't have to worry about any extra bills for now.

January 2022
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was quite hesitant about filing Chapter 7 at first myself back in 2013/14, but I finally was persuaded by others (among them my mother, who herself had filed Chapter 7 many years ago) and it turned out to be one of the better financial decisions I've made in my lifetime. It does put a big hit on your credit, but that's not as important as the fact that it will clear away any debt that can be included in BK and that it will give you an equally clear field to begin rebuilding. And you may be able to start building again sooner than you think - I got my first (secured) card just over a year after my BK was discharged and now I have a total of 4 cards (3 unsecured, including a Discover It!) and a new used-car loan. Good luck!

Message 4 of 5
kiea
Frequent Contributor

I included some old bills that I had that are no longer on my credit report but are still hindering me from obtaining certain services (Verizon, Sprint, Comcast, and Direct TV) plus a few others.  So once I sat down and thought about everything I think the bankruptcy will open up more options for me besides just credit cards.  I'm looking forward to making better financial decisions.  Thank you

January 2022
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.