cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filed bankruptcy, had the meeting with the creditors and now this.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Filed bankruptcy, had the meeting with the creditors and now this.

I filed bankruptcy and this last week I had the meeting with the creditors. I decided to pull my credit report and noticed most of the accounts were under a "Chap 7" status. I also noticed there were quite a few that weren't under that status and were still "Open and in Collections". I know for a fact I gave these debts to my lawyer as I pulled several reports. I know after a discharge these are impossible to get fixed. My lawyer is quite useless and rather difficult to reach so should I just take the initiate to call the creditors myself and let them know I filed? 

Is this something my lawyer should have done? 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
grassfeeder
Frequent Contributor

Re: Filed bankruptcy, had the meeting with the creditors and now this.

no, submit your discharge paperwork to the credit bureaus - they should change all reporting
Fico 8 Scores 5/1/22 :
799 EQ | 793 TU | 809 EX
Message 2 of 4
0REDSOX7
Valued Contributor

Legally, they are not required to update your credit report to IIB and a zero balance until AFTER you're discharged. The ones that did are just doing you a favor. It's actually very easy to get fixed after discharge and many of them simpy wait til then anyway. If they refuse, you load a copy of your creditor matrix and your discharge to help.

Also, If you had any accounts that were listed as a charge off BEFORE you filed, they will not update - as that reporting is correct. Your filing of BK simply means that no future debt collectors can attempt (legally) to collect on it.
BK Discharge 2/11/14

Currently in the garden.
Message 3 of 4
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

I would add that, except for non-qualifying debt [eg: IRS taxes, student loans, etc], ALL consumer debt exiting as of filing date are legally included in a bankruptcy filing ... whether or not they are listed in the schedule. Not to worry. Waitin until your discharge is granted and then check to see what is being reported.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.