Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filing Appointment Sept 24

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Filing Appointment Sept 24

It's official. I'm going bankrupt. But it feels so good!

I'll be meeting with my attorney 9/24 to gather everything to file, and then October 1st everything will be turned into the bankruptcy court.

What should I expect? I'm nervous and excited all at the same time.
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Filing Appointment Sept 24

Also, I'll be filing 7.
Message 2 of 7
Pway
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
It's official. I'm going bankrupt. But it feels so good!

I'll be meeting with my attorney 9/24 to gather everything to file, and then October 1st everything will be turned into the bankruptcy court.

What should I expect? I'm nervous and excited all at the same time.

Congrats on taking the first step of getting that part of your life back.  I'm sure we can all attest to the nervousness we felt when meeting with his/her attorney and filing.  There is nothing really to stress about though.  Just keep it honest and open and you should be fine.  I know the feeling.  I am now able to sleep at night and now worry about creditors on my back.  I can answer my phone without looking at the caller id, because that part of my life is long gone. 

I wish you the best and good luck.

Thank you for the wealth of knowledge I have learned from these forums. I am logging off as of November 9, 2022. I wish everyone great success.
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

No reason to pay anything at this point...but also don't go out and buy a bunch of stuff either. Know that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Get ready for cash only for a few months, then see what happens.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good going... I can tell you from my position, absolutely horrendous credit report, 30-40 collection accounts, strange phone calls, judgements, it all has come to an end. I'm about 3-4 weeks from discharge and I've seen more than half of my collection accounts disappear, the phone calls have all stopped and all but 5 accounts are reporting 0 balance IIB. There's light at the end of the tunnel,follow it!
Message 5 of 7
0REDSOX7
Valued Contributor

Let me ask you this.

Have you retained your attorney yet?  If not, and you stop paying, get ready for the collection calls.

My attorney allowed me to pay him $400 to "retain him" even though it was going to take about two months to pull everything together.  This way, when a creditor called, you tell them you have retained an attorney and all calls regarding this matter are to go through him.  You provide your attorney's number - and they stop calling you.

BK Discharge 2/11/14

Currently in the garden.
Message 6 of 7
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

@0REDSOX7 wrote:

Let me ask you this.

Have you retained your attorney yet?  If not, and you stop paying, get ready for the collection calls.

My attorney allowed me to pay him $400 to "retain him" even though it was going to take about two months to pull everything together.  This way, when a creditor called, you tell them you have retained an attorney and all calls regarding this matter are to go through him.  You provide your attorney's number - and they stop calling you.

This is great info and I highly recommend doing this.

Also, it is important that you understand that credit transactions done just before filing [how long depends on the trustee] cna be viewed negatively by a trustee and  be challenged. The idea is that if you cannot now pay your bills, why run up new bills.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.