Re: Filing Pro Se

I filed my own BK-7 filing. I do have experience in filling out legal forms and I pulled a few BK-filings from the court. It took me a full Saturday to complete the forms, online via my PDF software. I went and filed it in the order it's listed on the website and I had no problems.

Starting Score: 515 (11/2012)
Current Score: 575 (04/2013)
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Nurturing My Garden

BK-7 discharged 11/2012 | last App 3/19/13 | App free until 1/1/2014 |
Senior Contributor

I filed Pro Se BK 7 back in 2004 I paid a company I found on the internet they charged me $200 for the appropriate forms they filled in for me I printed them out myself gathered all the forms went to the bk court and filed. It was a lot of work on my end cause I had to get together all my debt that I wanted wiped. It was well worth it. Thank god I will never do it again LOL. 

Valued Member

I agree, filing BK 7 Pro Se can be done but it is up to you to be thorough.  I am not a lawyer and have no legal background.  I was just like you, a person in a bad situation and not able to afford a lawyer.  After 2 years of trying to figure out how to pay one of the many lawyers I talked to, I finally decided to take a chance and do it myself.  I filed a joint BK7 for my husband and me.  

The US Bankruptcy Courts website has a ton of information that will help you.  The best thing I did was get a Pacer account and review BK7 cases filed Pro Se & discharged successfully in my jurisdiction that were similar to my situation.  I looked at about 30 cases then printed out about 10 that closely resembled what I had and copied what they did.  Hey no sense in recreating the wheel!  And if all else fails ..... Google it!

After I filled out all that paperwork I got nervous (to keep you from filing Pro Se, there is a lot of information about how you will go to jail if you make a mistake) so I also paid a company $200 to fill out the paperwork for me.  What a waste!  It was exactly what I had already done!  Not to mention, you provide them all of the information to fill in the forms!  But I guess I paid for piece of mind!  Anyway, I took the paperwork to the court, filed it, they issued me a case number right away and I was able to have the garnishments, collections calls, etc stopped the next day.

One month later, on the day of my 341 meeting, I sat in there all afternoon and they did call me last.  The upside to this is you get to hear what's said to everyone, how they responded and how those responses were received.  So I was glad to go last.  When they called us the Trustee asked us the "standard" questions, then he asked if anyone helped us so I said no (other than the company that filled out the forms), he then asked how did I determine what exclusion codes to use and I told him I got a Pacer account, researched about 30 cases and followed suit of the successful ones.  He then said "this is one of the best bankruptcy filings I have seen in a long time!"  He went on to say that I should get a job in law.  The whole 341 meeting took less than 10 minutes (probably 5 minutes).  My BK7 was discharged exactly 2 months later with no issues.

Make no mistake, the Trustee is not there to help you.  The Trustee's job is to collect whatever you have for your creditors so you need to have all your ducks in a row.  If you're going to do it Pro Se, get all three credit reports, get reports from places like Chex Systems, Telecheck, CL Verify, etc, keep every collection notice (not all CAs report to the CRAs) and make sure you include ALL of these in your BK filing.  Do your homework and you should be fine.  

I hope things work out for you.

Frequent Contributor

DaBears wrote:

I filed Pro Se BK 7 back in 2004 I paid a company I found on the internet they charged me $200 for the appropriate forms they filled in for me I printed them out myself gathered all the forms went to the bk court and filed. It was a lot of work on my end cause I had to get together all my debt that I wanted wiped. It was well worth it. Thank god I will never do it again LOL. 

I too filed myself, BK7. I went online and printed all of my form and filled them out by myself for practice.

I then called a paralegal and met with her at the library, paid my $99 to her, we filled out the forms she brought together.

I then went home and compared what her and I had done to what I did myself. They were the same, only a few small changes and I "used her" to answer many questions, how it would work, when and where to file, all that info.

I then reprinted all the form online and filled them all out and signed myself and filed.

I threw the ones we did together in the trash, shredded first of course.

I basically paid $99 to confirm what I had started.

I do not recommend doing it this way, but if you have no other choice, it might be worth the $99, then just copy those pages done with paralegal onto your own forms, free online, and file your own without the paralegals signature. Paralegal has to sign if they helped with forms.

Currently "freezing" in the garden!

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions based on Experian or Equifax data (additional FICO® Score versions based on TransUnion data are not currently available on myFICO.com). Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.