Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filing for bankruptcy

tag
Ficoaddict2012
Established Member

Re: Filing for bankruptcy

I'm gonna try to still work the same while in school .. I want to be able to save up as well... He said I'll pay $500 while filing and $5000 through out but he said that would be included in the payment plan... Also, he will be including my student loans, in which $12000 would go towards the student loan for 5 years.. Is this normal??? I kinda didn't wanna include it cause without it, it'll only be $400 a month .. But he said it needs to be included since I can't choose which one to leave out..but I thought student loans aren't dischargeable anyway?? 

Message 21 of 34
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

Two out of three Chapter13's wind up dismissed and very often converted to a 7.  If anything happens during the plan to lower your income, the court will dismiss the 13.

If you have any way to reduce your income for six months to be under the income limits, a chapter 7 is vastly preferable to a 13.  A 13 gives you all the damage of a BK, all the lenders that won't touch you, and you still have to repay the debt.  It is a horrible situation.

since 2/3 of chapter 13's filed wind up dismissed and usually convereted to 7's, you would be much better off to get a 7 now and not waste money paying creditors who can be discharged.

The 13 does fall of your credit report at 7 years from filing rather than 10 years (as in a 7), but other than that, there is no other benefit.

If you had an income of 150K or 250K and needed to file, then of course a 13 would be your only option.  If you are close, you are better off to make sure you qualify for a 7.

Message 22 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Ficoaddict2012 wrote:

I'm gonna try to still work the same while in school .. I want to be able to save up as well... He said I'll pay $500 while filing and $5000 through out but he said that would be included in the payment plan... Also, he will be including my student loans, in which $12000 would go towards the student loan for 5 years.. Is this normal??? I kinda didn't wanna include it cause without it, it'll only be $400 a month .. But he said it needs to be included since I can't choose which one to leave out..but I thought student loans aren't dischargeable anyway?? 

I actually think you can get out of all of this without having a BK following you around for the next 7 or 10 years.

From what you say here, they're estimating that you'll have to pay back an amount equal to about half of your unsecured debt in total. (The actual amount going to your creditors is less than that, but some of the money will go towards atty's fees.) I estimated this as the $644 payment x 60 months = $38,640 less 12k that would have gone to your student loan = $26,640.

In my mind, that translates to a bottom line of filing a BK 13 over roughly $23k which I'm not sure is totally worth it.

I think if you quit using your cards and really committed to a budget and paying them off (just pay extra on one at a time until it's gone, make minimum payments on the rest, then tackle a new card) you can do this.

Message 23 of 34
notpaul
Regular Contributor

I agree. Chapter 13 really sounds like a bad deal for you. If it were me I'd find a way to make CH 7 work or not file at all and just negotiate and pay the debt. Some of the smaller ones you may be able to settle in a lump sum for less than half what you owe if there are any. If they settle for 50%, and they likely will if you are going to collection anyway, you can use your attorney fee to pay off a $10000 account. Your credit is going to be awful no matter what you do; it sounds to me like a matter of doing the least damage you can at this point.
6/15 DC BK7, starting EQ FICO score 563

2/16 FICO EQ 661. TU 653, EX 660
Current CC Accounts: Capital One QS1 500; Overstock 1300; Care Credit 5000; Barclay Rewards MC 1300; JCPenney 3500; Amazon 3500; WalMart 3500; Target 500; PenFed Promise Visa 2000; PenFed CLOC 500; NFCU Flagship 12500; NFCU Platinum 8500; Credit One 1000.
Message 24 of 34
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

In my mind, that translates to a bottom line of filing a BK 13 over roughly $23k which I'm not sure is totally worth it.

I think if you quit using your cards and really committed to a budget and paying them off (just pay extra on one at a time until it's gone, make minimum payments on the rest, then tackle a new card) you can do this.

Agreed...

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 25 of 34
Ficoaddict2012
Established Member

Would you guys recommend debt settlement??
Message 26 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Ficoaddict2012 wrote:
Would you guys recommend debt settlement??

You mentioned your payments are currently up to date. If you have low scores now, it's likely just because of high utilization. I wouldn't make any plans to deliberately trash your credit. With the right budget and a commitment to it, I think with your income and expenses you can get out of it. Keep paying on time, get the debt paid off, and you'll likely have stellar credit in the end.

Your car is also paid off in 2 years and change. That $450/month will really help you hammer on any remaining debt.

Message 27 of 34
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@CH-7-Mission-Accomplished wrote:

Two out of three Chapter13's wind up dismissed and very often converted to a 7.  If anything happens during the plan to lower your income, the court will dismiss the 13.

If you have any way to reduce your income for six months to be under the income limits, a chapter 7 is vastly preferable to a 13.  A 13 gives you all the damage of a BK, all the lenders that won't touch you, and you still have to repay the debt.  It is a horrible situation.

since 2/3 of chapter 13's filed wind up dismissed and usually convereted to 7's, you would be much better off to get a 7 now and not waste money paying creditors who can be discharged.

The 7 does fall of your credit report at 7 years from filing rather than 10 years (as in a 7), but other than that, there is no other benefit.

Yeah but I still have my pride.  Smiley Wink

So 2 of 3 Ch 13's fail and end up converting to a 7 eh?  An interesting stat.  Where'd you get it?

As far as "no other benefit" between a 13 and a 7 other than the 7 year removal of the derogs I don't totally agree.  On paper that's correct but I can tell you from personal experience I had a BECU loan officer tell me face to face that she looks upon a Ch 13 more favorably than a Ch 7 due to the fact the debt was paid back... in whole or in part.

I know if I loaned money to someone and got burned.. .the guy who paid me back would most certainly have a much higher rating in my eyes than the guy who didn't pay me back. 

I knew little about the BR system back in 2009... my attorney said Ch 13 due to the fact I wanted to keep my car.  Looking back on it now I'm pretty sure I could have filed a 7... my income met the requirements I believe.  Makes you wonder why my attorney steered me to a 13?  It most certainly wasn't to line his pockets... he got his attorney fees spread out over many months of Ch 13 payments rather than up front with a 7.  At any rate, he was one of the highest rated attorneys that specialized in BR so I didn't question him.

Water under the bridge now... I'm 98% done with the marathon... everything falls off in the next few months.  I'm expecting to be around 750 across the board.

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 28 of 34
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

@TRC_WA wrote:

@CH-7-Mission-Accomplished wrote:

The 7 does fall of your credit report at 7 years from filing rather than 10 years (as in a 7), but other than that, there is no other benefit.

Yeah but I still have my pride.  Smiley Wink

So 2 of 3 Ch 13's fail and end up converting to a 7 eh?  An interesting stat.  Where'd you get it?

As far as "no other benefit" between a 13 and a 7 other than the 7 year removal of the derogs I don't totally agree.  On paper that's correct but I can tell you from personal experience I had a BECU loan officer tell me face to face that she looks upon a Ch 13 more favorably than a Ch 7 due to the fact the debt was paid back... in whole or in part.

I know if I loaned money to someone and got burned.. .the guy who paid me back would most certainly have a much higher rating in my eyes than the guy who didn't pay me back. 

I knew little about the BR system back in 2009... my attorney said Ch 13 due to the fact I wanted to keep my car.  Looking back on it now I'm pretty sure I could have filed a 7... my income met the requirements I believe.  Makes you wonder why my attorney steered me to a 13?  It most certainly wasn't to line his pockets... he got his attorney fees spread out over many months of Ch 13 payments rather than up front with a 7.  At any rate, he was one of the highest rated attorneys that specialized in BR so I didn't question him.

Water under the bridge now... I'm 98% done with the marathon... everything falls off in the next few months.  I'm expecting to be around 750 across the board.

TRC, I'm not in any way putting you down.  I think it's honerable that you feel this way and a great accompishment to have completd your Ch 13.

This is the data on the two-thirds fail rate for Chapter 13:

"While the concept of a repayment plan is valuable, the actual implementation of the Chapter 13 program could be improved on several fronts. The high non-completion rate of Chapter 13 plans is cause for substantial concern. For more than a decade, two-thirds of all Chapter 13 plans have failed before the debtor completes payments, and sometimes before unsecured creditors have received anything at all"

http://govinfo.library.unt.edu/nbrc/report/08consum.html

In terms of a person who feels morally compelled to repay all or a portion of their bankruptcy debts, I still think people should get a chapter 7 if at all possible.  There is nothing whatsoever preventing you from repaying your creditors after your chapter 7 is discharged.  You won't pay lawyer fees or trustee fees and if your finances get tight you can suspend payments and then pick up again where you left off.

So the fact that a chapter 13 forces you to repay your creditors does not mean that a chapter 7 filer can't clear his or her own conscience if they feel compelled.

In my opinion, if you can get a 7, take it and run.  Then if you want to pay the money back, nothing is stopping you.  Not having a court order over your head would really test the depth of your integrity vis-a-vis your debts!

Also, I filed a 7 and got a BECU 5K Visa 12 months after filing.  It was an automatic online approval with no verifications.

I think it is bad to advise anyone to opt for a 13 if they can qualify for a 7.

Message 29 of 34
Ficoaddict2012
Established Member

I spoke with another lawyer and he said that he wouldn't really recommend chapter 13. He thinks chapter 13 is almost the same as debt settlement and also the other attorney is charging too much.. If I have any way to lower my income within 6 months, I could get chapter 7. I'm getting mixed opinions from different people and it's confusing :-/...
Message 30 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.