cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finally!! AMEX approval post-Bankruptcy!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Finally!! AMEX approval post-Bankruptcy!

Started rebuilding credit immediately following my BKR in Dec 2012.. now have 2 Discovers each with $8000 limit, Barclay $9000, BOA $4000..then Applied for AMEX last year with scores in the 730s and thought I'd be approved. NOO!! I was so disappointed! Now today, literally 5 Yrs post-BK I applied for AMEX Bluecash & got approved with $5000 limit. I am so happy! Credit redemption at last!! BTW, I almost didnt reapply bc I was told AMEX will NOT give approval to anyone who still has a BR on file, even with excellent scores.
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
barbaralee
Established Contributor

Re: Finally!! AMEX approval post-Bankruptcy!

Congratulations! It also took me 5 years to get an approval from amex, and another year before they increased the CL.
I started with a 1500 limit, and then after a year they auto increased to 4500. Then I requested an increase to 7k.
I love my BCP. I am thinking of culling the herd, but BCP is a keeper.
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

wrote:
Started rebuilding credit immediately following my BKR in Dec 2012.. now have 2 Discovers each with $8000 limit, Barclay $9000, BOA $4000..then Applied for AMEX last year with scores in the 730s and thought I'd be approved. NOO!! I was so disappointed! Now today, literally 5 Yrs post-BK I applied for AMEX Bluecash & got approved with $5000 limit. I am so happy! Credit redemption at last!! BTW, I almost didnt reapply bc I was told AMEX will NOT give approval to anyone who still has a BR on file, even with excellent scores.

Congratulations! Your portfolio is looking good, let alone for a "rebuild!" Well done!

Message 3 of 10
HRD08
Established Member

Congratulations on your AMEX card! I also got approved w/Amex 5 years post filling of CH 13. I now have 3 cards; BCE, BCP & Delta Gold. However,  I haven't been able to get a CLI with the BK still on my file.

2/18 EQ 726 TU 715 EX 722
Goal 750
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats for Amex approval!! Beautiful.

Message 5 of 10
nykos5000
Regular Contributor

Congrats! Post 5 years seem to be the common consensus. Does anyone know if their credit cards are easier to get POST BK versus their charge cards? 

BK7 08/2016 | DC 12/2016

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

his gives me so much hope thanks

wrote:

Message 7 of 10
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Amex will approve 5 yrs, and 1 mo post filing date. If they were IIB, then thats a toss up, most won't be approved if they weren't paid back, and if they do get approved, its much later down the road.

Congrats on your approval, and getting back in!!!
Message 8 of 10
MrDJSeattle
Valued Member

That is fantastic!  Congrats!!

08/2016 - BK 7 - Filing
11/2016 - BK7 - DC
08/2019 - EQ716 // EX709 // TU687 (FICO8)
NFCU GoRewards (Unsecured) - $11,500 (Auto graduated 12/2017, CLI +$3K 8/2018)
USAA Platinum (Unsecured) - $21,000 (CLI 1K to 3K 1/2018, CLI +$6.5K 8/2018, +9.5K 8/2019)
USAA Cash Rewards (Secured) - $5,000
Nordstrom Retail Card (Unsecured) - $800 (CLI +$300 7/2018)
Credit One (Unsecured) - $1000
Amazon Store Card (Unsecured) - $3,800 12/2018
Chase Sapphire Reserve - Auth user (Unsecured) - $30,500 3/2019
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much for the support!! I appreciate ALL these wonderful comments from all of you who certainly understand what a big accomplishment this truly is for me!! Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.