Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finding a lawyer

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Finding a lawyer

How do you even go about finding a good bankruptcy lawyer? I just don't want to pick one out of the yellowpages and i don't know anybody that has ever filed for bankruptcy.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Finding a lawyer

@Anonymous wrote:

How do you even go about finding a good bankruptcy lawyer? I just don't want to pick one out of the yellowpages and i don't know anybody that has ever filed for bankruptcy.

Well, the yellow pages might be better than the TV ads!

If you're willing, ask around and see what people have heard.  That's probably the best way to get recommendations.

If not, then the yellow pages isn't that bad a place to start.

Make appts. with three bk attorneys and pick the one you're most comfortable with.

Just remember, they're basically selling a product; so make sure you balance the information you receive from them with someone who can tell you what other options you have besides filing BK. 

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Finding a lawyer

@Anonymous wrote:

Most state bar associations have a referral service.  They can give you details of qualified bankruptcy attorneys in your area and set you up for free initial consultations. 

Aas previously mentioned, interview more than one and pick the one you feel comfortable with.  I would also strongly recommend going to the public library and finding Nolo Press' bankruptcy guide and read it before you talk to an attorney.  It will help you understand the process and your attorney's advice.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.