cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First CC after Ch 7 Discharge, what next? Help!

tag
radguy
Established Member

First CC after Ch 7 Discharge, what next? Help!

Hi all, first time I post here, but I've gotten lots of good info from the board. So, it's been a year since my discharge and after trying to apply during the summer for a Cap 1 card I was finally approved, $3000 limit. Great! Now I can start to rebuild my credit. I need help from you guys, what are the next best steps? Apreciate your help.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Scupra
Super Contributor

Re: First CC after Ch 7 Discharge, what next? Help!

@radguy wrote:

Hi all, first time I post here, but I've gotten lots of good info from the board. So, it's been a year since my discharge and after trying to apply during the summer for a Cap 1 card I was finally approved, $3000 limit. Great! Now I can start to rebuild my credit. I need help from you guys, what are the next best steps? Apreciate your help.

Congrats on the Cap One approval, nice starting limit as well. You are probably in the credit steps program and will get a CLI at 6 months! As to what to do next, there is a great thread on rebuilding you should attempt to follow. You will need to adjust to your situation since you are a year in now. 

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Bankruptcy/HOW-TO-From-BK7-discharge-to-700-in-24-months-or-less/td-...

Good luck!

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 2 of 4
radguy
Established Member

How can I just the plan in my situation, I'm already a year out, should I follow Soulmaster's plan from the start? What does anyone suggest? Thanks.

Message 3 of 4
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

@radguy wrote:

How can I just the plan in my situation, I'm already a year out, should I follow Soulmaster's plan from the start? What does anyone suggest? Thanks.

Build up a positive payment history for 12 months or so then apply for a 2nd credit card. Alternatively, if you are in a rish, then I recommend two secured credit cards to go along with the one tradeline that you already have ... then patiently use/pay/repeat.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.