cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For Chapter 13 filers-Do they take your income tax check every year?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

For Chapter 13 filers-Do they take your income tax check every year?

Thanks

MB

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
TigerCat
Valued Member

Re: For Chapter 13 filers-Do they take your income tax check every year?

They never took mine. And I even had some old federal taxes (> 3 years) included in the bk.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

In our Ch 13 BK, we were allowed to keep the first $1,000 in state and federal refunds.  The rest was turned into the trustee.

I think that's a fairly recent ruling.

It also seems fairly decent - it allows you to keep an emergency fund, which would otherwise be very difficult given the tight budget you work with while in a Ch 13.  And it puts the rest of the money where it belongs - with the creditors.

I'm guessing some people could really play the system otherwise.

Message 3 of 6
TigerCat
Valued Member

My refunds were always less than that $1,000 threshold you mentioned beamMEup, so that's probably why it was never an issue for me.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wasn't required to forfeit any refund -- but, that may be because, for years, I've taken great pains to avoid getting a refund. I'm sure my record-keeping indicated that to the bankruptcy court. A tax refund is the proceeds from your interest-free loan to the federal treasury! By law, we are allowed to adjust our withholding so that at least 90% of anticipated tax liability is withheld. You may claim as many exemptions as is necessary to meet that standard. Thus, I take my 'refund' every payday in my paycheck, and send a less-than-10% balance to the treasury out of it each April 15. (Actually, because of unusual, one-time credits passed by Congress, I've gotten back small refunds the last two, post-BK years. Otherwise, I'd have written a check for less than $100 this year. My goal to write the IRS a check that will cost them more to process than it is written for!)
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I wasn't required to forfeit any refund -- but, that may be because, for years, I've taken great pains to avoid getting a refund.

The IRS also has a great calculator on their website.  We used it this year because our accountant made a dang big error last year and we ended up owing over three grand to the IRS (and we paid that guy Smiley Sad).  The IRS calculator is quite specific and requires a little time and some accurate input, but i think it's grand.  Both DH and I have changed our W-4's this year based on its feeback.  Very helpful.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.