Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fresh Discharge, Now what?

tag
MonsterMad28
Established Member

Fresh Discharge, Now what?

I read the 18-month manual post on 0-700 credit. The problem is I burned "everyone" in my BK. If you name them I probably had a card with them. One problem I have is I would like to bank with Chase because they are well connected with my job, but I burned two cards and a bank account with them. Do you think they would let me back? So yea... Where do you start when almost every company was in your bk? Discharge was 8/31/17. One last question. My case was listed as "no asset" so they can never come back for my house after the equity is huge? I was right at the limit for my home.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Fresh Discharge, Now what?

Capital One will usually let you back in at one year after they charged off your account. I'm not sure if they do that when you file or when the discharge is official.

I'd suggest starting with one of the federal credit unions such as SDFCU, NASAFCU, PenFed, DCU, etc. Most of them are fairly easy to get into and will issue secured cards to get your rebuild started. I just transferred $300 to SDFCU to get me going.

If they didn't come after your equity between the 341 meeting and your discharge, then they can not revisit the case post-discharge. Your in the clear.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your discharge! I discharged my BK7 on 8/22/17. I app'd for a CapOne on 8/24/17 and got approved. My limit is really low but it's a start. Good luck to you!
Message 3 of 9
MonsterMad28
Established Member

I keep reading that as long as you're current on the mortgage there is nothing to worry about after BK7. Seeing that the bank can take your home anytime they want what is the general time frame that they would? Say you got into a car accident or something and couldn't make payments? Like one missed payment and they kick you out?

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MonsterMad28 wrote:

I keep reading that as long as you're current on the mortgage there is nothing to worry about after BK7. Seeing that the bank can take your home anytime they want what is the general time frame that they would? Say you got into a car accident or something and couldn't make payments? Like one missed payment and they kick you out?

From my understanding, since you filed BK the debt is wiped out in theory and from reporting to CRA's. However, you are retaining the property in a "pay and stay" arrangement. Your mortgage company cannot take your home at anytime without a foreclosure process, the same process that would apply to anyone else who did not file BK. One late payment would not result in you being forced out of your home. Continued non payment would more than likely result in foreclosure procedures to commence or possibly a short sale option if the lender agreed to it. Since the BK, you want to maintain on time payments with the mortgage company and all other new lines of credit, always. The lien on the property remains until the property is sold by you, or foreclosed upon by the lender and your name is removed from the deed. This applies to BK filers as well as non BK filers.

This is why reaffirming in never a good idea. If something changes after the BK, and you cannot maintain the property and payments, you can walk away without additional consequences in regards to the money owed to the lender. A foreclosure after BK I believe, will have some impact on your credit history and eligibility on getting another mortgage within a certain time-frame. 

If anything is incorrect in what was said, a more seasoned member will chime in. An email to your attorney may be best and settle your uncertainties regarding this.

Message 5 of 9
MonsterMad28
Established Member

The reason I asked was because I have always paid my mortgage with the late fee. It wasn't 30 days late more like 17. So it never reported to the credit bureaus. I could catch up and just pay the mortgage now and when I get paid later this month (for Oct. 1) but paying right now would take away about 80% of a emergency fund I have put together.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MonsterMad28 wrote:

The reason I asked was because I have always paid my mortgage with the late fee. It wasn't 30 days late more like 17. So it never reported to the credit bureaus. I could catch up and just pay the mortgage now and when I get paid later this month (for Oct. 1) but paying right now would take away about 80% of a emergency fund I have put together.

I can only use my own experience in replying, YMMV. I believe most mortgages are due on the 1st of the month with a late fee tacked on if not paid by the 15th of the month, that is how mine is. I am also paid semi-monthly and I always pay my mortgage from the first pay check of the month and always on time without late fee's, I have never paid a late fee. Have you considered paying your mortgage from your other paycheck so that it would not be late(the late fee's add up)? I think that is what you mean by "paying right now and then again on your next paycheck." This one time catch up may be what you need to restructure when you make your mortgage payment and thus result in no late fee payments. With your BK filing or discharge, all that other debt is gone and what payments went towards that now can go in to savings. All this takes time though.  

Message 7 of 9
MonsterMad28
Established Member

Yea my mortgage is the same as yours and the back to back payment would allow me to restructure my payments to avoid the late fees. I guess I will just do it and get everything on track. Btw I applied for a credit one card and got it with a $300 limit. I guess I am on my way to recovery. I pretty much hate credit cards now.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MonsterMad28 wrote:

Yea my mortgage is the same as yours and the back to back payment would allow me to restructure my payments to avoid the late fees. I guess I will just do it and get everything on track. Btw I applied for a credit one card and got it with a $300 limit. I guess I am on my way to recovery. I pretty much hate credit cards now.

Sounds like a plan Monster and congrats on the Credit One approval. I'm just in the beginning of this process, do not have a 341 meeting yet so I am in the trenches still with similar concerns as you had in regards to the equity in real estate. Glad things worked out for you.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.