cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Geting a Credit Card After Ch 7 Bankruptcy

tag
panamabrazil

Geting a Credit Card After Ch 7 Bankruptcy

So here's my brief history, Filed BKY CH 7  5/2014, Discharged 9/2014. Got Auto Loan with Chrysler Capital 9/2014. 

Other than my car loan I have no new credit. I want to start rebuilding my credit, it has definetly gone up since I filed ch 7 in 5/2014 , but I feel like I'm not doing enough besides paying my auto loan on time. I want to start applying for credit cards, I understand having hard inquiries will negatively afect my credit scores, bt I feel it's best to just apply now for the credit cards and start rebuilding from there. Capital one was included in my Ch 7 , And I applied for them recently a got declined, is it worth calling for a recon , since it was included in my ch 7? I applied for Finger Hut, and Victorias Secret... we will see how that goes. 

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Filed BKY CH 7 5/2014, Discharged 9/2014
2/2015 MyFico: TU 596 | EQ 613 | EX 599
5/2015 MyFico: TU 629 | EQ 638 | EX 615
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Taoron
Frequent Contributor

Re: Geting a Credit Card After Ch 7 Bankruptcy

There are a few ways to do this.  First, the general recommendation is to follow the 24 month thread that guides you to 700 score in 24 months.  You can find that here:  http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Bankruptcy/HOW-TO-From-BK7-discharge-to-700-in-24-months-or-less/td-...

I think everyone is going to have slightly different variations of it, just simply because not everyone lives in Nevada.   I choose to open a Credit One card and a BCU secure card a month after discharge and have had those for 7 months now.  

I also opted to open a selflender account.  This does not result in any credit pulls, but is basically the equiv. of a credit builder account.

Just today (a few minutes ago, actually) I applied for a Barclaycard Rewards Card and was approved!!!  

Definitely check out the 24 months to 700 thread, and good luck rebuilding.  Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 4
Duke84
Regular Contributor

I recommend getting a secured card through a credit union or even Bank of America. You will need actual credit cards to help diversify and grow your credit profile after the BK.
Starting Score: EQ: 537, TU: 488, EX: 558 (8/2014)
Current F8 Score: EQ: 733, TU: 734, EX: 709 (4/2023)

Current Cards:

Store Cards:
Message 3 of 4
Pway
Valued Contributor

I agree with the other posts here.  I was denied for capital one after my bankruptcy as well, although I added some trade lines and give it a couple of months to report.  I then re-applied and I was approved for two of their cards.  I opened a secured card with my credit union, obtained a fingerhut account and opened an express card.  I wish you the best of luck in your credit rebuild after bankruptcy.

Thank you for the wealth of knowledge I have learned from these forums. I am logging off as of November 9, 2022. I wish everyone great success.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.