Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting an auto loan Post discharge

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Getting an auto loan Post discharge

Hey guys first time posting . I filed chapter 7 July 20th 2016 and have my 341 two weeks from today . I am surrendering my car because it is a lease ( got suckered into getting it ) the payments are extremely high (423 ) for the vehicle a 2015 chrysler 200 base model . I want to get financing basically the day of or after I get my discharge paper work . I am looking to get a 2016 honda civic ex and I will be able to put down about 2-3000 my current scores are all low to mid 500s . Wondering if anyone here has been in a similar situation or would know if I would be able to get a loan or what kind of apr I would be looking at . I have read here and seen captial one or a credit union as most of the answers . I'm not a member of a credit union and I didn't burn capital one on my bk . Just looking for some insight or advice on my situation in particular.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Scupra
Super Contributor

Re: Getting an auto loan Post discharge

Hello and welcome to myFICO! Your situation is pretty common actually. Lately there has been a couple threads around this same topic. I would read through some of the threads on obtaining an auto loan in the BK forum. That's great news you didn't burn Cap1!

May I suggest looking for a used model that will most likely save you thousands? Fresh out of BK it would be more beneficial to stash some extra funds into savings rather than buying the newest Civic that will depreciate the second you buy it.

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 2 of 5
0REDSOX7
Valued Contributor

IF you know you want to apply for credit so close to your discharge, work on cleaning them up before discharge.  Make sure all accounts are listed as IIB and a zero balance.  Dispute if you have to (and upload parts of your BK paperwork if they are difficult), though understand that some issuers may not do anyhting until they get the discharge notice.

I was able to secure two auto loans (one with Wells Fargo and the other with Santander) about three days post discharge - but worked to ensure my reports were as best they could be.

BK Discharge 2/11/14

Currently in the garden.
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Agreed, if you go to each CB and dispute your credit you can view your report for free (only do this if you plan on disputing stuff). A week after I filed I went through myhusband's and my credit and disputed everything to say that it was included in BK and needs to be reported as $0 balance. It takes about a month for it to be completed so if you start now it will give you time to then dispute again if you need to. In my case, Cap One and another creditor refused to update the info, so I had to send in my bk paperwork with them listed as a creditor to the CB to then re dispute and have it updated yet again.

Besides Cap One auto, PenFed/NavyFed seem to both be friendly with BK autos, carfinancial.com is another one, We have a current car loan through Prestige we got about two weeks ago whie we're still open in BK.

Message 4 of 5
jmclaughlin1982
Established Member

Feel free to read my story...and I do mean story. But here's what happened with me.

I surrendered my '07 Sentra that I got suckered into. One of thos easy credit places. $12,000 for a $4000 car PLUS a 18.99% interest rate! Used the hubby's car until discharge and we suffered with just 1 vehicle. 
I got the bonus of being added as AU on my husband's cards so I had tradelines. Also, if you have a local credit union ask them about a credit builder loan. Its like a secured product, but you don't put any money in up front! It's almost like a savings plan, but they charge you interest instead of you getting it. HAHA. Mine has a pretty steep 12% rate, but at the time I didn't have $1000 to do a secured loan. I was able to do a traditional secured loan with my bank for a 3.15% interest rate though. So for $2000 in credit I make $175 a month in payments, not bad I'd say. Sorry, I diverged. LOL. I went to the dealership about a week before I thought my BK would be discharged and inquired. They talked to the bank and said, here are the terms they will approve, come back with your discharge paperwork and we'll get you into a car!

Someone on here suggested that you get a used car. Practical...yes, probable...no. I was told that due to the valuations and depreciation no traditional lenders will approve someone that close to BK7 DC for a used car. I was looking at a $10000 car and they told me, no you weren't approved for that car, but we can get you into this one (points to the $13000 car) go figure!

I would suggest you talk to your local dealer though....Chevy did very well by me but I know Toyota has some good plans too. I got a brand new Spark with 24 milres on it (managed to hit a 20% off special too) and my payment is $350 a month with $500 down.

Just figured I'd give you my experience and hope it helps.

BK7 filed 3/23/2016 DC 6/20/2016

Current Credit
Ally Auto-$17000| Credit Builder Loan-$1000| Secured Loan-$1000| Cap 1 Secured-$400| Kohl's-$300| Milestone-$300| Gettington/Webbank-$500

AU- Chase Freedom-$500| Cap 1 QS-$500| Amex-$2000| Walmart-$910| Target Card-$300| Kohl's-$300| Credit 1-$300
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.