cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting different answers...need to know b4....

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Getting different answers...need to know b4....

Ok sorry about the long read (Im at work bored Smiley Sad)

I have been on a couple of different forums and it seens that no one has a absolute answer to how long does a BK13 (dismissed) stay on your report. From what I have seen, Its always "as long as" or "for as long as". That being said, using that wordage, its saying they can not report it pass the 10yr mark (or 7yr for BK13, depend on who you talk to because some ppl say BK13 is 10yr also). Im trying to get this off and I'm stuck seeing if its pass the SOL. It has a filing date of 6/98. I'm trying to get my score up as quickly as I can so I can apply for a loan to remodel my house this spring.

```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

Ok, just got this off of Equifax's web site:

Information That Is Not Included:

Summary of FCRA Rights

• Your race
  • Your religion
  • Your current health or medical history
  • Your driving record
  • Your criminal record
  • Your political preference
  • Notice of bankruptcy (Chapter 11) that is more than 10 years old <----------Smiley Surprised
  • Debts that are more than 7 years old

No mention of 13

From Experian's ask Max credit advice fourm (Maxine Sweet - Experian's VP of public Relations)

Bankruptcy

One of the great myths about bankruptcy is that it erases bad credit history. It doesn't.

Declaring bankruptcy frees you from paying all or part of the debt you owe. The status of accounts included in the bankruptcy will be updated to reflect that fact, but the accounts will not be deleted from your credit report.

Chapter 13 bankruptcy remains on your credit history for seven years. Chapters 7 and 11 are reported for 10 years. Credit accounts may be deleted at different times depending on their status prior to being included in bankruptcy.

For example, an account that was current when you declared bankruptcy will remain on file seven years from the date it was included in bankruptcy. An account in collection when you declared bankruptcy still will be deleted seven years from the original delinquency date that led to the charge off, so it may be deleted before the bankruptcy is.

Bankruptcy isn't an easy way to escape a bad credit history. It doesn't erase your credit report so you can start over with a clean slate. It does stop collectors from calling, but creditors stop calling, 

Then I found this:

INDIVIDUAL'S NAME.
AND ADDRESS
WITHHELD

Re: Section 605(a)(1) of the Fair Credit Reporting Act

Dear Mr. :

This will respond to your letter inquiring whether Section 605(a)(1) of the Fair Credit Reporting Act ("FCRA") allows a consumer reporting agency to report the filing of an involuntary bankruptcy petition for more than seven years when the petition was dismissed without the entry of any order for relief and without any adjudication of bankruptcy, and when the consumer report does not fall within one of the exemptions set forth in Section 605(b).

You assert that, unlike a voluntary bankruptcy filed under Section 301 of the Bankruptcy Act, 11 U.S.C. § 301, there is no presumption or determination of bankruptcy for an involuntary bankruptcy petition filed under Section 303, 11 U.S.C. § 303, unless and until an order for relief is entered or an adjudication of bankruptcy is made by the court. Thus, you maintain, where a petition for involuntary bankruptcy has been dismissed with no entry of an order for relief, information regarding the involuntary petition does not qualify to be reported for ten years under Section 605(a)(1); rather, it should be reported no longer than seven years, as permitted for most other adverse items of information under Section 605(a) of the FCRA.

Section 605(a)(1) permits a consumer reporting agency to report the following information for up to ten years:

Cases under title 11 [United States Code] or under the Bankruptcy Act that, from the date of entry of the order for relief or the date of adjudication, as the case may be, antedate the report by more than 10 years.

While there was no order for relief entered in the case you described in your letter, there was apparently an adjudication. You state, "After numerous hearings in the bankruptcy court, the involuntary petition was dismissed by the bankruptcy judge in an order entered on April 23, 1992." Inasmuch as that involuntary bankruptcy proceeding qualifies as a case under Section 303 of the Bankruptcy Act, it appears that information regarding the order dismissing the petition may be reported for ten years from the date that order was entered; i.e., until April 23, 2002. If the involuntary petition for bankruptcy is being reported without identifying it as involuntary or without disclosing that it has been dismissed, you may require, pursuant to Section 611 of the FCRA, that the item be reinvestigated and updated to reflect its complete and accurate current status.

You express concern that permitting involuntary bankruptcy petitions to be reported for ten years might spur a rash of such vexatious suits by "Rambo litigators." The Bankruptcy Code provides a remedy for such actions. Section 303(i) states:

If the court dismisses a petition under this section other than on consent of all petitioners and the debtor, and if the debtor does not waive the right to judgment under this subsection, the court may grant judgment -

. . .

(2) against any petitioner that filed the petition in bad faith, for -

(A) any damages proximately caused by such filing; or

(B) punitive damages.

This is an informal staff opinion and is not binding on the Commission. At your request, we will not include your name and address in versions of this letter we make available to the public.

Sincerely,

Ronald G. Isaac

Message Edited by cjones46402 on 11-04-2007 07:07 PM

Message Edited by cjones46402 on 11-04-2007 07:07 PM
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Getting different answers...need to know b4....

If it's a dismissed and not a discharged 13 it will stay on for 10 yrs from date of filing.
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the fast reply Kimmerzz...where can I find that tidbit of information at? Smiley Wink
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just took a look at Transunions website and they say a chapter 13 dismissed stays on for 7 yrs.  Guess it would depend on which CRA you ask.  All I can say for sure is that will come of in May of 08 one way or another.  Smiley Wink

Message Edited by kimmerzz on 11-04-2007 08:10 PM
Message 5 of 7
rizeninme
New Contributor

It's seven years from the DISCHARGE date, which is usually ten years from the FILING date. If it was dismissed and not discharged (you didn't make all your payments to the trustee) then it would be ten years from the dismissed date.
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

rizeninme wrote:
It's seven years from the DISCHARGE date, which is usually ten years from the FILING date. If it was dismissed and not discharged (you didn't make all your payments to the trustee) then it would be ten years from the dismissed date.

It is 7 yrs from the filing date for a discharged 13. Just ask my  hubby how happy he was when it dropped off  Smiley Happy

Message Edited by kimmerzz on 11-04-2007 08:14 PM

Message Edited by kimmerzz on 11-04-2007 08:14 PM
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.