Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Giving a car back a year after discharge

tag
reg1966

Giving a car back a year after discharge

Hi,

My BK was discharged last May and I have a leased vehicle that was included in it and I continue to make payments on it. On the statememt of intentions on the BK filing  I check the box that I wanted to assume the lease but I now want to buy a cheap used car and return this one. Can I still give the vehicle back and thougut it's been over a year? I never reaffirmed the loan. My only concern is on the statement of intentions on the BK petition where I indicated I would assume the lease , but I don't think is binding or the same a reaafirming. 

Thanks

Bob

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Giving a car back a year after discharge

@reg1966 wrote:

Hi,

My BK was discharged last May and I have a leased vehicle that was included in it and I continue to make payments on it. On the statememt of intentions on the BK filing  I check the box that I wanted to assume the lease but I now want to buy a cheap used car and return this one. Can I still give the vehicle back and thougut it's been over a year? I never reaffirmed the loan. My only concern is on the statement of intentions on the BK petition where I indicated I would assume the lease , but I don't think is binding or the same a reaafirming. 

Thanks

Bob

I'd check with my lawyer. 

Message 2 of 4
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@reg1966 wrote:

Hi,

Thanks

Bob

Agree with the prior poster - check with your attorney.  Vehicle leases are not the same as vehicle loans so make sure you remind him of your specific bk details.  My concern for you is that you specifically assumed the lease which may in fact be a "reaffirmation".  Your attorney will know. You paid him/her.  Use their knowledge. EDIT: here is a link that discusses leases and bankruptcy that might help: http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/what-happens-car-lease-bankruptcy.html

Message 3 of 4
reg1966

Thanks

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.