Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Great Progress 17 Months after Ch. 7 Discharge

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great Progress 17 Months after Ch. 7 Discharge

First of all, I want to thank everyone who has contributed to this forum.  I have lurked through here for nearly two years now, and just signed up to tell my story.  I filed in 2015 and was discharged in 08/2015.  In December of 2015, I got two Capital One Quicksilver cards with $300 CL.  I used them dilligently and paid them off in full every month.  Also in December of 2015, I purchased a vehicle for $8500 at 21.99%.  In April of 2016, I refinanced with Capital One and lowered that interest rate to 8.99%.  In June of 2016, both Capital One cards limites were increased to $3000!  At this time, I applied to Barclay Ring and Apple Rewards Cards, and got $650 and $1500 respectively.  

At the one year mark, I heard of the FHA bankruptcy forgiveness program and looked into buying a home.  After calling around to a bunch of small local lenders, I found that I could use my VA loan after one year out of bankruptcy if I had made substancial improvements and had a credit score above 640.  Persistence was key in this situation.  I called over 25 lenders in a two week period and they all said there was no way I could get a mortgage with less than two years out of BK.  Finally, a small, local morgage company said yes.  In September of 2016, I purchased my home...one year and one month after discharge.  I have lived in this home now for nearly six months and I still can't believe I have been this blessed.  In October of 2016, I purchased another vehicle.  It was a 2017 Toyota Camry and I got it at 3.99% interest rate.  At the dealership, it was originally offered to me at 7.99%, but I fought tooth an nail to get it down.

I went out to the garden for a while until this past weekend.  I figured, I've had unusually good luck with lenders so I went a bit crazy with a few credit apps.  I applied to the Target Store Card, Firestone Store Card, Barclay NFL Card, and Chase Freedom Card.  Target and Firestone both approved me instantly.  Target gave me $1000 and Firestone gave me $1,800.  I got denied for the Barclay NFL Card and the Chase Freedom.  I reconned for the Barclay NFL card and was turned down.  I called back and spoke to them again, and after much grief, they moved some credit over from the Apple Reward card to open up my NFL Card!  SUCCESS!  Then I called Chase.  I could not believe how nice the agent was.  He was very helpful and within about 25 minutes of the phone call and several questions and a brief explanation of why I filed bankruptcy, he approved my Chase Freedom Card!  The earliest I have heard of anyone getting considered for a Chase card after BK is 3 years or so.  So I consider myself to be on the good graces of the credit gods here.

Now I go back to the garden.  These forums have helped me greatly in my rebuild.  I greatly appreciate everyone who has contributed.  Please let me know if anyone has any questions.  I will be more than glad to help. 

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Great Progress 17 Months after Ch. 7 Discharge

Wow you've made great progress good grief at a mortgage and chase freedom a year out of BK!!! Nice work👍🏽👍🏽
Message 2 of 4
TXinandout
Frequent Contributor

Excellent progress and congratulation on getting in with Chase, incredible!
BK Discharged 06/02/2016 SCORES AROUND 475

Current scores:
EXP-667
EQ-654
TU-653
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I could really benefit from speaking with you.  I am in the same boat as you are, I am almost a year out of BK and am also a Veteran.  I have been told by several people I cannot get a MTG until 2 years after BK.  Could i connect with you for some information? <mod edit>  I will be 1 year in June.  My credit scores are 600EQ, 636 EXP and 652 TU.  I have zero bad marks on my credit except for the BK.  I have a Cap One CC, Walmart, Amazon, Marathon and Credit one. and a few Jewelry ones that i have not used.

It's fine to send a PM, but it's against the site TOS to put personal info (i.e. personal email) in a post.  --UB, myFICO Moderator

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.