Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HOW LONG BEFORE I CAN BUY A HOUSE?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

HOW LONG BEFORE I CAN BUY A HOUSE?

My Ch 7 BK was discharged on 2/19.  My FICO score is a crappy 600.  Does anyone know how long it takes before you can buy a house?  Is it based on the credit score or length of time after BK discharge?  Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 12
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: HOW LONG BEFORE I CAN BUY A HOUSE?

If you did not give up a house in the BK than you can get a FHA loan 2 years after discharge with a minimum FICO of 620 or above.  Conventional is even longer.  I have heard if you meet the income and area requirements you can get USDA sooner than the 2 year mark.  Hopefully one of the experts will chime in.
Message 2 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you did not give up a house in the BK than you can get a FHA loan 2 years after discharge with a minimum FICO of 620 or above.  Conventional is even longer.  I have heard if you meet the income and area requirements you can get USDA sooner than the 2 year mark.  Hopefully one of the experts will chime in.
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thankyou very much!!!
Message 3 of 12
debtfree09
Regular Contributor

That is wrong information about FHA.  My husband and I are 5 months discharged from a Chapter 13 bankruptcy and we are working with a lender for FHA refinancing.  It is 2 years from discharge for a conventional loan.  You do need a minimum score of 620 though.

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

The OP filled Chapter 7 not chapter 13 and the info I provided was from an FHA rep, HUD website, as well as 2 underwriters.
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Right. With chapter 13 you can apply the day after discharge. With chapter 7 you have to wait 2 years.

With either, if there was a foreclosure, deed-in-lieu, or short sale, you have to wait 3 years from when the property transfers.

Message 6 of 12
tommylive

Well, my wife and I heard that you can buy a house right after a discharge with a USDA loan. It's called a USDA Streamline loan and you have to have a minimum of 620. Is that not true?
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not very familiar with the USDA loan, but I do know you can quickly check to see if you might qualify at http://eligibility.sc.egov.usda.gov/eligibility/welcomeAction.do .  Hope the info there is helpful! --  I didn't qualify ;(.
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

It is potentially true, but I think you would have to have some truly exceptional circumstances. I believe most lenders will want you to be at least 12 months out, in the current environment. However there is definitely more flexibility with USDA than with FHA. Also, you do need to make sure that your location and income qualify.
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey! We filed bankruptcy in 2010. For FHA it's 2 years, USDA is 3 years, and Conventional is 4 years. They do make exceptions sometime's based on the circumstances. But that's the basic rule.
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.