cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HOW TO: From BK7 discharge to 700 in 24 months or less!

tag
missgaonmymind
Contributor

Re: HOW TO: From BK7 discharge to 700 in 24 months or less!

Credit Builder vs.Auto Loan

I wanted to ask a question about the best course of action. I'm awaiting my discharge (about 30 more days) and I wanted to find out if getting a credit builder loan at my local CU, will help my chances on getting an auto loan at a decent rate or at the very least a loan. I surrended my car in the BK and need to get one as soon as I get my papers.

Current score post Ch 7 10/28/14 discharge : EQ: 729 TU 737 EX 725
Goal scores: 800

Chase Sapphire Preferred- $14k Capital One Venture- $10k; Capital One Spark Business- $5k; Discover IT: $11k, Discover Chrome- $14.5k; Navy Federal Cash Rewards- $7.1k; Navy Federal Go Rewards- $12.4k; AMEX Gold; AMEX SkyMiles Plat- $5k; Macy’s AMEX- $12k
Message 681 of 1,877
Scupra
Super Contributor

@Broke_Triathlete wrote:

I was under the impression that Discover isn't BR friendly? They weren't included in mine but I got denied.

BK friendly doesn't promise an approval. I applied 22 months post chapter 7 d/c with a 680 and was declined. As always with credit YMMV

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 682 of 1,877
Chilli
Established Contributor

I skipped the discover step and app'd for a barclay rewards....approved after reconning 2x...the 1st told me to try again later because I had too many recent accts opened...I had a cup of coffee, and called back and I was approved for 2.5k!

I am not going to touch discover until 2016...I am seeing too many denials.

Message 683 of 1,877
gillumhalo1

Well I have update. Its been roughly 5 months since I started your guide and the problem im having is that no one will approve me for a credit rebuilder loan still. I also cant find any other credit card company to approve me other than Credit one Bank. So im stuck with only the one credit card. My score hasnt quite improved but atleast its not getting worse! Still hopeful for the future. 

I know this isnt the appropriate place for a review BUT when you get great service I want people to know about it. So anyway People talk really bad about Credit one bank and I have nothing but positive things to say about them. They are friendly on the phone and had waved my fees when I read up on them and heard to cancel because they were theives. They just said give us a shot we will wave the intial fees and I got a CRI after the first payment.

Message 684 of 1,877
Larryhay
Established Member

@gillumhalo1 wrote:

Well I have update. Its been roughly 5 months since I started your guide and the problem im having is that no one will approve me for a credit rebuilder loan still. I also cant find any other credit card company to approve me other than Credit one Bank. So im stuck with only the one credit card. My score hasnt quite improved but atleast its not getting worse! Still hopeful for the future. 

I know this isnt the appropriate place for a review BUT when you get great service I want people to know about it. So anyway People talk really bad about Credit one bank and I have nothing but positive things to say about them. They are friendly on the phone and had waved my fees when I read up on them and heard to cancel because they were theives. They just said give us a shot we will wave the intial fees and I got a CRI after the first payment.

You didn't mention where you had tried (for credit rebuilder loan) Just to verify, but the only likely candidated are the Credit Unions in your area (either secured card, or secured loan. They may not call it credit rebuilder loan verbatim, but if it's a secured loan from your own shares, as little as $500 would work over 12 months, something like that)
Next, Credit One fees do suck as well as their terms, but if you've burned Capital One (and it hasn't been at least 6 months to a year after) then it's still your start that can lead to other things.
Barclays is the next best alternative towards a real, no fees Credit Card, AFTER the 6 month mark, not before. At a minimum , they want to see 6 full trade lines, best to have low Utilization (What reports as your balance/limit monthly) and LOW inquiries. That can be the catch in a scramble to finding a card, applying all over the place to places that are NOT going to accept you right now.

You don't have to have 8 cards, you don't have to have 5. One will at least start the road, and maybe having 1-2 more Credit lines will present well.

I also dislike Fingerhut (for their shipping, higher prices) BUT, they were the FIRST ones to give me a credit account line to show on my rebuilding process, it was like $200 AND I had to put $50-75 down at first. But , it worked,

Capital One (who I had burned twice), had me on their *hit list for like 6 months of trying, but finally accepted me one day for a small, fee card around the 10th month timeframe (after D/C)  That was about 2 years ago, and now I have a Quicksilver $5000 card with them.

My other starter card that was denied the first 2 times (applied every 3 months or so) was the GE Walmart card $150! Cl at first, but it worked. Bought socks for $7, let it go to statement date, then paid immediately when the statement showed.

6 months after my Secure CC line showed, Walmart and Fingerhut (not even $50 month in purchases between the 3) I was approved for a Barclays NFL card for $500 (now over $3000 1 1/2 years later)

-----------------   

So, my bottomline to you would be, even with just 1 tradeline (CreditOne) showing for 5 months or so, AFTER the 6th statement POSTS on credit reports, Barclays may be worth trying. Even though it's early in your rebuilding process, SPREAD OUT your inquiries now.

I think I saw my first real Credit score boost after the Ch-7 was aged 76 months, then again closer to a year,etc. Less than a year, and Credit Issuers can be real skittish.

But, you only need 1-3 Tradeline to get more than your money's worth in rebuilding

Starting Score: 589
12/1/2012 Fico EQ 651 Fico TU 637 CK TU 608 0

07/15/2013 Fico EQ 674 Fico TU 652 CK TU 651 0
Goal Score: 705+

Current Score:
9.21.14 FICO EQ 686

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

7/13/2013 Fico EQ 674 TU Fico 652
Message 685 of 1,877
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello all! First time poster long time reader! LOL Always wanted to say that! My wife and I were discharged BK7 on 9/5/14. The other day I went to prequilify for a credit one card and didn't like what I saw. So last week I crossed m fingers and apped for a capitol one card. Got the, thanks will let you know in 7-10 days. Well yesterday I received a quicksilver rewards card for $500. My question is should I skip the credit one card and wait a little bit for another card or try for one more. Thanks in advance and hope to more involed here.

Message 686 of 1,877
Chilli
Established Contributor

@ebeau97,

Congrats on your cap 1 approval...I would skip the credit one step.

Message 687 of 1,877
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks! What should my next step be? Wait 6 months or try to get one more Capitol one card?

Message 688 of 1,877
Chilli
Established Contributor

@ebeau97,

Did you get a credit builder loan...i.e. a personal loan (unsecured or secured)? Once you get your loan, continue to follow the steps in the plan.

Also, work on your credit reports...this is a very important step too.

Message 689 of 1,877
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Chilli

No I have not, I will make that my next step!

Thanks Again

Message 690 of 1,877
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.