cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HOW TO: From BK7 discharge to 700 in 24 months or less!

tag
Chilli
Established Contributor

Re: HOW TO: From BK7 discharge to 700 in 24 months or less!

Equifax SPLIT MY FILE....AGAIN! Smiley Frustrated

My score is 745 today...Smiley Surprised

Message 701 of 1,877
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ordnance1987,

Yes I I did the prequalify for the credit one and capitol one. The credit one said I was able to get one of thier cards, but I didn't like the terms. Capitol One gave me a message saying they couldn't match my records but said they recomonded certain cards. I did burn Capitol One for 2 cards, both around $900.

Message 702 of 1,877
misssararae

I received a pre-approval paper in the mail for Capital One (I just applied and was denied on 09/16) and I went ahead and tired again and got approved for a $500 limit.  Yay for quick progress.  Now, my issue is when I come to the point where I want to get a credit builder loan... my credit union (Educators) does offer one BUT you must be employed for a minimum of a year.  While I have had a year of income, I have moved companies twice because I was laid off and then I ended up with a company I hated and now I'm in the position of my dreams (everything happens for a reason, right?).  Just not sure what to do when I reach that step.

Filed BK7: 05/05/14 Discharged: 08/25/14
FICO Scores 09/16/14: EQ 566
Message 703 of 1,877
Chilli
Established Contributor

@missssararae,

yes, everything happens for a reason but remember,  it will only last for a season.☔️☀️

if you you have a hard time getting an unsecured loan, the other option is saving a little money to borrow against your savings😉😉😉😉😉😉😉😉

Message 704 of 1,877
ordnance1987
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@ordnance1987,

Yes I I did the prequalify for the credit one and capitol one. The credit one said I was able to get one of thier cards, but I didn't like the terms. Capitol One gave me a message saying they couldn't match my records but said they recomonded certain cards. I did burn Capitol One for 2 cards, both around $900.

Thanks for the reply Ebeau97, I will give capital one a try. I was current with the card that I had before I filed for bankruptcy. If they deny me I'll call for reconsideration. When you applied for capital one did you apply for a certain card or do you just apply and  they give you whatever you qualify for? Sorry for the dumb question last time I applied for a capital one card was in 2006 or 2007, the last one I had with them used to be an orchard bank card and I applied for that one in 2010 so I kind of forgot how this all goes.

Chapter 7 Discharged Aug 2014
Starting Score: EQ 587, TU 567, EX 612
Current Score: EQ 643, TU 627, EX 657
Message 705 of 1,877
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ ordnance1987

No question is dumb! I cant remember if I applied for a certain one. I remeber the 7-10 day response came up and thats about it. I received the quicksilver rewards card. Another thing, yesterday I apped for another capitol one and got approved! It was only for $300 this time, but I'll take what I can. Let me know how it goes, good luck!

Message 706 of 1,877
ordnance1987
Regular Contributor

@ Ebeau97

OK, will report back. I don't know if I should wait for my dispute to be over with TU or just apply now. I think it should be done in two weeks. I disputed the student loans but I doubt they will take them off. EQ already replied back and they said they are staying on there.

Chapter 7 Discharged Aug 2014
Starting Score: EQ 587, TU 567, EX 612
Current Score: EQ 643, TU 627, EX 657
Message 707 of 1,877
arholden
New Contributor

I opened a new account (just a WalMart store card, not an actual V/MC) last week.

Equifax gained 6 points on the inquiry and 6 points on the new account.

TransUnion dropped 5 points on the inquiry and 3 points on the new account.

There needs to be just one CRA used in the U.S., because it's not fair to consumers to have the current ones all report different things and some penalize you for something that another rewards you for. I'm so mad I could scream.

BK7 discharged Feb. 2014
MYFICO scores: EQ 672 EX 677 TU 659
CapOne Platinum $4500, CapOne QS $4500 (both July 2014)
Discover $5500 (Apr 2016)
WalMart store card $700 (Sept 2014)
Amazon store card $850 (Sept 2014)
CareCredit $2000 (Jan 2015)
Message 708 of 1,877
Scupra
Super Contributor

@arholden wrote:

I opened a new account (just a WalMart store card, not an actual V/MC) last week.

Equifax gained 6 points on the inquiry and 6 points on the new account.

TransUnion dropped 5 points on the inquiry and 3 points on the new account.

There needs to be just one CRA used in the U.S., because it's not fair to consumers to have the current ones all report different things and some penalize you for something that another rewards you for. I'm so mad I could scream.

Hey that's a pretty decent starting limit with Walmart so fresh out of BK. Make sure to look up what kind of usuage they like to see so that you can grow that CL! Congrats!

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 709 of 1,877
Anonymous
Not applicable

What is the purpose of getting multiple cards?  Our BK was discharged in August 2014 and one month later my husband and I each applied for a Capital One card. He was approved for a Platinum card with a $3,000 limit.  My decision was referred. I eventually got a letter in the mail asking for income verification. Once I sent the verification, I too was approved with a $3,000 limit.  I received the Quicksilver One card though. I'm not sure why they gave us such a high limit (relative to what others have received). We each had a Capital One card included in the BK.

Since we each have a card with a decent limit, do we really need to get more cards?

I want to refinance our mortgage in 3-4 years, so I'd love to have our scores above 700 by then. They are in the 500's now.

Message 710 of 1,877
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.