cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HOW TO: From BK7 discharge to 700 in 24 months or less!

tag
kjm79
Valued Contributor

Re: HOW TO: From BK7 discharge to 700 in 24 months or less!

Under the Credit Tracker (older Cap1 scoring) it says the score is the TransUnion New Account Model and goes on to say, "Different lenders use different scores (e.g. FICO, Vantage) - so don't be surprised if your lender uses a score that's different from your Credit Tracker Score." 

When I was reading other threads here, the Credit Wise version is supposed to be the VS. 

Credit.com I don't think is a FICO, it gives two scores, VS and another but I didn't recall it being a FICO. Haven't logged onto there in forever though, maybe they changed it. 

CH 7 Filed 7/27/15 Discharged 11/16/15
Starting Score: EQ 620 TU 568 EX 593
Current Score (07/13/16): EQ 674 TU 649 EX 674 (FICO's 08)
Cap1 QS ($5350) (Combined QS and QS1) Discover It ($4100) MilStar ($8,600) Fingerhut ($800)
Off to the garden 05/01/16
Message 1471 of 1,877
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello everyone. 

Looking for some advise here on what to do next. My husband and I filed for bankruptcy ch 7 on 12/23/15. We were discharged 4/6/16. On 4/7/16 I tried both the Credit One and Capital One pre-qualifiers and my husband was approved $300 for Credit One, $300 CapOne Platinum and $300 CapOne QS. I tried the pre-qualifiers and got nothing...even though we BOTH burned CapOne and Credit One in ch7. So what do I do now? Should I add myself as an authorized user to my husbands cards and hope that helps? Should I try for a secured card for me to help me get started? I'm a bit confused as to what my next steps should be. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks!

Message 1472 of 1,877
stinastina
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello everyone. 

Looking for some advise here on what to do next. My husband and I filed for bankruptcy ch 7 on 12/23/15. We were discharged 4/6/16. On 4/7/16 I tried both the Credit One and Capital One pre-qualifiers and my husband was approved $300 for Credit One, $300 CapOne Platinum and $300 CapOne QS. I tried the pre-qualifiers and got nothing...even though we BOTH burned CapOne and Credit One in ch7. So what do I do now? Should I add myself as an authorized user to my husbands cards and hope that helps? Should I try for a secured card for me to help me get started? I'm a bit confused as to what my next steps should be. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks!

The same thing happened to me. My husband received all the rebuilding love. I was added as an AU to one of his cards and then I received a prequalified offer from 1st Premier which I accepted because I was denied for everything else.

BK7 Discharge 1/16
10/15 ~ EQ: 406; TU: 520
10/18 ~ EX: 666; TU: 646; EQ: 652
Message 1473 of 1,877
Scupra
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello everyone. 

Thanks!

I would have husband cancel the Credit One card asap. After that, you can still give Cap1 a try. You do not "need" a pre-approval to apply and be approved. If you are blacklisted they wont even pull credit, so there is almost no hard in trying. Adding AU's is all fine and dandy but each person needs to build their own profile. I would also take the time to read at least the first 10-20 pages of this thread. Preferably all but hey, I get it, it's long.

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 1474 of 1,877
Scupra
Super Contributor

I just want to say this again since it seems to pop up often still. You do not need a pre-qual in order to apply, and be approved, for a Capital One product. Is the Capital One pre-qual pretty spot on, yes! That in no way means you will not be approved if you are not pre-approved Smiley Happy

801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 1475 of 1,877
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Scupra!

First let me start off by saying that you are one of the people on here that I follow and admire the most. I mention your posts so much to my husband that when he got approved for the CapOne he said "log into MyFico and tell Scupra!" LOL

I have read this entire thread, I get notified each time someone posts in it so I'm probably on here on a daily basis reading everyone's new posts. I know Soulmaster says to do CreditOne first and then CapOne. I know others say that if you get CapOne then forget Credit One. Was I wrong in thinking that any kind of credit 2 days post discharge is good credit? My thought process was that we would use the Credit One wisely for the first 11 months and then cancel before the year to avoid the annual fee. I thought it would help in the rebuilding. Am I not thinking properly? Maybe I just got TOO happy seeing all of the prequalifiers coming back with "Congratulatioins!" that I went a little nuts.

What do suggest? My goal is to purchase a home in 2 years. My husbands scores are in the 550's right now. I also contacted a local credit union about a credit building loan they offer and will be visitng them tomorrow to get that going.

Message 1476 of 1,877
amieric
Established Member

Hello! So I have finished up my bankruptcy for the most part. I am (begrudgingly) giving my lexus back and no longer assuming the lease, as I was a little under water in it from rolling in negative equity from my last car into this one - i figured the bankruptcy is giving me a clean bill of health so to speak, let me jump on. I went ahead even during the bankruptcy to buy a new car, and was financed! No buy here pay here, i did it through Carvana - alas with money down.. but i expected and my payments are even lower for a car i like and wanted. i also just applied for the Credit One credit card; was approved ($300 limit). The next step is a credit builder LOAN... while i had to sink some savings into the new car (new to me at least) i dont have much to just put into a credit builder loan, as ive already burned USAA and NFCU in my filing. Would it be better to get a secured card in the interim that wont require much money down instead? I would perfer that route. Like the bank of america or the NFCU (if they allow me too) secured card that DOES graduate. what should i do? help from the galley Smiley Happy 

Message 1477 of 1,877
Anonymous
Not applicable

"NOTE: Always apply for credit on a Tuesday or Wednesday around noon." -- qote from original post.

Hi, all. I'm new to the forum. Can anyone tell me why it's best to do this?

Message 1478 of 1,877
daveg38
Established Contributor

I would definitely be interested in knowing why noon is optimal, too.

Is there some sort of systematic update that happens which renders an easier approval?

Ch7 Discharge: 5/14/2016 | Target RedCard $900 | Merrick DYL $500
Message 1479 of 1,877
Scupra
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi Scupra!

First let me start off by saying that you are one of the people on here that I follow and admire the most. I mention your posts so much to my husband that when he got approved for the CapOne he said "log into MyFico and tell Scupra!" LOL

I have read this entire thread, I get notified each time someone posts in it so I'm probably on here on a daily basis reading everyone's new posts. I know Soulmaster says to do CreditOne first and then CapOne. I know others say that if you get CapOne then forget Credit One. Was I wrong in thinking that any kind of credit 2 days post discharge is good credit? My thought process was that we would use the Credit One wisely for the first 11 months and then cancel before the year to avoid the annual fee. I thought it would help in the rebuilding. Am I not thinking properly? Maybe I just got TOO happy seeing all of the prequalifiers coming back with "Congratulatioins!" that I went a little nuts.

What do suggest? My goal is to purchase a home in 2 years. My husbands scores are in the 550's right now. I also contacted a local credit union about a credit building loan they offer and will be visitng them tomorrow to get that going.

Haha, tell the husband congrats and good job to you for finding the forums to help with your rebuild. The only reason I said to drop the Credit One card was because you obtained 2 Cap 1 cards right away, eliminating the need for the Credit One card. I hate all the fee's that come with the Credit One card. if you didnt have any up front fee's then just keep it for 11 months like planned Smiley Happy  Your goal of obtaining a house two years post d/c is very obtainable, just remember to make a plan and follow it.

Did you give Capital One a shot yet? Smiley Wink

801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
Message 1480 of 1,877
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.