cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HOW TO: From BK7 discharge to 700 in 24 months or less!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: HOW TO: From BK7 discharge to 700 in 24 months or less!

I was, I had a personal secured loan with them that was included in my Chapter 7, I called them and agreed to continue to pay them anyway and was approved a unsecured nRewards Visa 3 weeks after my discharge date.

Message 1491 of 1,877
stinastina
Established Contributor

Just got approved for a NFCU cash rewards card !!! I have had trouble getting my own card since discharge in January of this year. I actually applied for a cash rewards card last month and was denied. They offered me a secured card which I didn't jump at. Right now I am AU on Merrick and Credit One and have my own First Premier. I also applied for a nfcu line of credit and was denied. I have a low limit at $500, but I am super happy ! NFCu sent me a postcard  with an acepptance code so I did some research to see if it wasa pre-approval or junk. Most posters got a card. I debated on whether or not to apply but I pulled the trigger ! BAM !! If you notice I applied on a Wednesday around noon, which is recommended in the original post.

Hubby got a pre-approval for Capital One Auto the other day. We need  a car so badly. The only one we have is his old Mercedes which is sitting in the driveway with 2 busted tires and a broken tie rod. It's leaking transmission fluid. We are in negotiations (with each other) on what to do. lol

BK7 Discharge 1/16
10/15 ~ EQ: 406; TU: 520
10/18 ~ EX: 666; TU: 646; EQ: 652
Message 1492 of 1,877
Niki9
Regular Contributor

I just wanted to reiterate how helpful this post is.  I filed BK and was discharged May 5, 2014.  Today I had my credit pulled to get preapproved for a home and I was told that my TU score is 710!!!!!!  I didn't follow the instructions exactly because I've had several medical bills incurred in the last 2 years.  I can't image how much better my score would have been had I followed the instructions exactly!  Thank you sooooooo much!

Message 1493 of 1,877
Anonymous
Not applicable

I also need a car asap.  I will be discharged in a couple weeks.  I've been without a car for a year.  It's getting worse for me and my children with no transportation.  How's it working for you with Captial One auto?  I keep seeing this a lot.

Message 1494 of 1,877
amieric
Established Member

I had luck with carvana DURING the bankruptcy process. Just had to give them a letter from my attorney advising it's okay. Even if it wasn't typical for a chapt 7 filing. For a 13 - that's more common. Check Carvana out if they are in your service area :-)
Message 1495 of 1,877
stinastina
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I also need a car asap.  I will be discharged in a couple weeks.  I've been without a car for a year.  It's getting worse for me and my children with no transportation.  How's it working for you with Captial One auto?  I keep seeing this a lot.

You will be getting lots of vehicle loan offers in the mail. Cap 1 sent a pre-approval for a particular dealership. We didn't need a down payment but our interest rate is high. We got a 2012 car with 38k miles. That's the newest car we've ever gotten. We are happy to have reliable transportation with a warranty. The process was easy. We just told them how much we wanted to pay per month and they told us what cars would fit that amount. We went in, test drove the car, signed the papers and that was it. The only thing we needed to show was proof of income and insurance coverage.

BK7 Discharge 1/16
10/15 ~ EQ: 406; TU: 520
10/18 ~ EX: 666; TU: 646; EQ: 652
Message 1496 of 1,877
sarge12
Senior Contributor

Having previously filed chapter 7 in 1996, but having little equity in my house or cars, I was able to keep them. Having done without credit for years after that I just kept making all my payments on time. When the chapter 7 fell off my credit report, my credit score went up to over 800. Now I have many premium credit cards, a very low home interest rate. I pay all credit card balances every month in full. I am not advocating that people should be irresponsible and take on so much debt that they have to declare bankruptcy, but if someone has already done so, bankruptcy is sometimes the only way to ever get on the right track. When I declared, I was so over extended it was not possible to ever get out of the hole. Paying minimum payments on cards, and being forced to renew loans at finance companies to prevent going delinquent, and being unable to consolidate due to poor credit rating. I do not even believe anyone should consider new debt for at least 5 years after filing. It is often irresponsible credit behavior that causes people to file in the first place, and the time I spent without credit, and being forced to live within my means taught me how to handle credit responsibly. Now if the problem was caused by a loss of job or medical bills, then that is of course different.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 1497 of 1,877
Scupra
Super Contributor

@sarge12 wrote:

Having previously filed chapter 7 in 1996, but having little equity in my house or cars, I was able to keep them. Having done without credit for years after that I just kept making all my payments on time. When the chapter 7 fell off my credit report, my credit score went up to over 800. Now I have many premium credit cards, a very low home interest rate. I pay all credit card balances every month in full. I am not advocating that people should be irresponsible and take on so much debt that they have to declare bankruptcy, but if someone has already done so, bankruptcy is sometimes the only way to ever get on the right track. When I declared, I was so over extended it was not possible to ever get out of the hole. Paying minimum payments on cards, and being forced to renew loans at finance companies to prevent going delinquent, and being unable to consolidate due to poor credit rating. I do not even believe anyone should consider new debt for at least 5 years after filing. It is often irresponsible credit behavior that causes people to file in the first place, and the time I spent without credit, and being forced to live within my means taught me how to handle credit responsibly. Now if the problem was caused by a loss of job or medical bills, then that is of course different.

This is a major difference between a lot of us. A lot of us who filed don't have a house or car to keep. So what is a fresh BK'er to do if they want to buy a house or car 2-3 years after? They can't just rely on cash for everything as they will be in for a rude awakening when they submit an app for a house.. Now, I do agree that someone shouldn't rush out to obtain a bunch of new debt and I couldn't agree more that everyone with a BK should learn a little about budgeting and taking care of their own finances - although this should really be happening in high school but that's another story Smiley Happy

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 1498 of 1,877
Anonymous
Not applicable

This thread is just awesome.

I guess I'm kind of modified version of this plan and have a question.

Background:
Ch7 was DC 4/19/16 and got the Credit One unsecured approved with a 400 limit. Got the card about 10 days ago and activated the card today and just paid the $75 AF today.

2 days ago I Went to check Cap One prequalified site and advised me to apply for the QS and also to check out the Venture. Got approved for the QS with 0% interest for $3,000 (Crazy!) someone in another thread advised to try the venture to see but obviously declined as the other was pending.

Also, I didn't burn either bank in the BK

Now the actual question:
Should I wait until I activate the Capital One card before applying for a Credit Rebuilder Loan?

Unfortunately, I did not put in the service for an NFCU membership (or any other legit way to get in) but I found a CU that I can get in to here in Houston that has a credit rebuilding step program that graduates every 8 months. If anyone is interested is the Houston Highway Credit Union.

Thanks in advance.
Message 1499 of 1,877
Scupra
Super Contributor

There is no reason to wait for the card to report Smiley Happy You are safe to obtain the loan now.

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 1500 of 1,877
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.