cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HOW TO: From BK7 discharge to 700 in 24 months or less!

tag
Scupra
Super Contributor

Re: HOW TO: From BK7 discharge to 700 in 24 months or less!

@Anonymous wrote:

Oddly, my report jumped 8 points today with a 10% utilization on my Capitol One card.  I figure if I can pay it down to $100 balance each month I am doing well with them.  I am pretty much going to just keep that card where its at and min pay each month to keep reporting a balance and use my Barclaycard for fuel each month, so I can pay in full.

I hate carrying a balance, but it seems that it helps to have something reporting as balance each month over just PIF before statements are cut.

I am happy to now be edging over the 620 score and be in a better rate tier. My only problem now is that I really wish I could buy a condo I saw, but the banks are saying two years post BK7 for an approval... Smiley Sad  

Yes, having a 10% balance or less will help your score. Especially if all other cards are at zero. Congrats on the increase Smiley Happy

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 1071 of 1,877
Unverzagt
Established Member

Just faxed all 3 CA my discharge papers and a request for each account listed individually to reflect the following, Inc in bk, zero balance and current/closed with no latest to be reported. Hopefully 30 days from now I will be celebrating clean reports and my auto that I carried through the bankruptcy and credit card will begin reporting again :-) #siteson700club

Starting Score: 515
Current Score: 548
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1072 of 1,877
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good evening! My husband and I filed bankruptcy but are not discharged yet. I've been reading a lot on here and want to have a plan for when we are discharged. My question has probably been answered but there are so many messages, I haven't read them all. Since we both filed do we need to follow these steps for both of us? It would make sense but I feel like we would end up with to many open lines of credit. Thanks in advance. 

Message 1073 of 1,877
Chilli
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Good evening! My husband and I filed bankruptcy but are not discharged yet. I've been reading a lot on here and want to have a plan for when we are discharged. My question has probably been answered but there are so many messages, I haven't read them all. Since we both filed do we need to follow these steps for both of us? It would make sense but I feel like we would end up with to many open lines of credit. Thanks in advance. 

Yes because your credit file are separate. 

Message 1074 of 1,877
ordnance1987
Regular Contributor

Hello everyone, it's been a while since I have been on these boards been busy with school and stuff. I have a question about step 4 in the 7-700 plan. I did the prequalifier for Capital One and it says that I do not have any offers. Next month will be my sixth month post discharge. When I try the prequalifier and if I get denied again should I still apply for the QuicksilverOne Rewards or are there suggestions for other cards instead. I got a pre approval in the mail from Barclaycard for the Barclaycard Rewards the letter says it is good until May. I currently have a CreditOne card with a $500 limit and a NFCU NRewards card with a $5500 (got them both around the same time), my starting limit was $500 and I did a CLI after three months. Should I also apply for the NFCU checking line of credit? I applied for it when I applied for the NRewards card but got denied. Thanks for any information.

Chapter 7 Discharged Aug 2014
Starting Score: EQ 587, TU 567, EX 612
Current Score: EQ 643, TU 627, EX 657
Message 1075 of 1,877

Do I need the secured loan with the bank if I have student loans? I will be discharged sometime in June and want to get back to 700 in two yrs.
Message 1076 of 1,877
Chilli
Established Contributor

@ordnance1987 wrote:

Hello everyone, it's been a while since I have been on these boards been busy with school and stuff. I have a question about step 4 in the 7-700 plan. I did the prequalifier for Capital One and it says that I do not have any offers. Next month will be my sixth month post discharge. When I try the prequalifier and if I get denied again should I still apply for the QuicksilverOne Rewards or are there suggestions for other cards instead. I got a pre approval in the mail from Barclaycard for the Barclaycard Rewards the letter says it is good until May. I currently have a CreditOne card with a $500 limit and a NFCU NRewards card with a $5500 (got them both around the same time), my starting limit was $500 and I did a CLI after three months. Should I also apply for the NFCU checking line of credit? I applied for it when I applied for the NRewards card but got denied. Thanks for any information.

I would apply for:

1. Barclays

2 Cap 1 

3. On April 1 request a cli on the NFCU NREWARDS CARD ....ask for 25k and take the counter offer.

If these steps work out ....close Credit One

if you haven't already, get a secured installment loan.

Good Luck.

Message 1077 of 1,877
Chilli
Established Contributor

@alleyezonchonte wrote:
Do I need the secured loan with the bank if I have student loans? I will be discharged sometime in June and want to get back to 700 in two yrs.

You can but Student loans are considered installment loans.

Message 1078 of 1,877
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@alleyezonchonte wrote:

Its not necessary with other forms of installment loans and SLs are installments

Message 1079 of 1,877
Anonymous
Not applicable

Couple things about Credit One that I think people should know.

1) You can only make 4 payments per month. I got my card with a $400 limit and wanted to keep it under $40. So if I used it and it went over $40, I immediately paid it down to $40. (Because I want the $40 to report before I pay it. Did that 4 times and was prevented from doing it again.

2) Possibly related, but they do credit line increases, even after only a month. Got the card a month ago, made the 4 payments and, when they issued the first statement, they also told me the credit line was increased to $600. 

Not huge deals. But I thought people here might be interested. As for me, I just got a Capital One with a $3000 credit limit that is my primary card. I keep that under 10%. I plan to only use my Credit One for one gas purchase a month, just before the statement cuts.

Message 1080 of 1,877
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.