cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HOW TO: From BK7 discharge to 700 in 24 months or less!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: HOW TO: From BK7 discharge to 700 in 24 months or less!

I posted this in it's own thread but I just was curious - I was discharged BK7 back in May (Cap1 was burned in BK). I just was approved for CreditOne. I also have a Student loan that I pay monthly.

Based on the formula in the first post of this thread, will my Student Loan suffice for now? In other words, is starting to rebuild from one credit card (CreditOne) and a Student Loan a good mix? Then, since I burned Cap1, find another unsecured credit card in six months?

Thanks in advance!

Message 1201 of 1,877
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

Greyxarea,

A student loan that is in good standing with no late payment history is an excellent trade line in my opinion.  

Regarding the credit card, have you checked Capital One for a preapproval? I if it gives you a fixed rate instead of a range of rates, you should be able to get a Capital One card. It took me a year before I could get back into Capital One. 

Have you looked at credit unions in your area?

Guyatthebeach

Message 1202 of 1,877
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Guyatthebeach wrote:

Greyxarea,

A student loan that is in good standing with no late payment history is an excellent trade line in my opinion.  

Regarding the credit card, have you checked Capital One for a preapproval? I if it gives you a fixed rate instead of a range of rates, you should be able to get a Capital One card. It took me a year before I could get back into Capital One. 

Have you looked at credit unions in your area?

Guyatthebeach

Thanks for info.

Yes, I did check Capital One. Unfortunately I checked before finding this site and I applied and was denied. Although, I'm not sure it was a hard hit on my credit since the reason was because I had "accounts with Capital One"  that were burned in the BK7. I will try to see if I can get preapproval after 6 months or a year, I guess.

As far as Credit Unions, the closest one is 40 miles away from me and they apparently only have a stipulation that you reside in the county, which I do. As far as other credit unions, I'm not too sure which ones I would qualify for as I am not really a member of anything that has ties to credit unions. 

I keep seeing NFCU but you need to either be active military or close family member who's active I believe? My father is a VFW (Navy) but is obviously no longer active and I don't have any siblings.

I'll do some digging on Credit Unions that may be available to me.

Sounds like for now I should be happy to have my CreditOne card and Student loan.

Thanks again!

Message 1203 of 1,877
notpaul
Regular Contributor

I just opened a NFCU account, my grandfather is a retired Army pensioner, I only didn't apply years ago because no one in my family was ever in the Navy. Only after reading through this thread did it ever occur to me I might be eligible. So, last poster, If your father retired and is on a military pension, you are eligible.

6/15 DC BK7, starting EQ FICO score 563

2/16 FICO EQ 661. TU 653, EX 660
Current CC Accounts: Capital One QS1 500; Overstock 1300; Care Credit 5000; Barclay Rewards MC 1300; JCPenney 3500; Amazon 3500; WalMart 3500; Target 500; PenFed Promise Visa 2000; PenFed CLOC 500; NFCU Flagship 12500; NFCU Platinum 8500; Credit One 1000.
Message 1204 of 1,877
notpaul
Regular Contributor

So I took a gamble yesterday and deviated from the plan here.  I had been reading about how generous NFCU is with it members, and what scores they like to see with new accounts, and applied for an unsecured visa.  I also wrote them a nice letter explaining the unusal circumstances that led to BK7 for me, describing how it  was not related to irresponsible spending in my case, offered documentation to support my claim, and it paid off. They approved me for $500 UNSECURED with a 653 EQ score and a two month old BK7 d/c.  From what I've read increases should come with time in a big way as I tend the garden.  Thanks everyone. I never thought things would improve for me so much financially, I agonized over whether or not to file for over a year of making special arrangements with creditors and going to a debt management program.   It works!

6/15 DC BK7, starting EQ FICO score 563

2/16 FICO EQ 661. TU 653, EX 660
Current CC Accounts: Capital One QS1 500; Overstock 1300; Care Credit 5000; Barclay Rewards MC 1300; JCPenney 3500; Amazon 3500; WalMart 3500; Target 500; PenFed Promise Visa 2000; PenFed CLOC 500; NFCU Flagship 12500; NFCU Platinum 8500; Credit One 1000.
Message 1205 of 1,877
grassfeeder
Frequent Contributor

@notpaul wrote:

So I took a gamble yesterday and deviated from the plan here.  I had been reading about how generous NFCU is with it members, and what scores they like to see with new accounts, and applied for an unsecured visa.  I also wrote them a nice letter explaining the unusal circumstances that led to BK7 for me, describing how it  was not related to irresponsible spending in my case, offered documentation to support my claim, and it paid off. They approved me for $500 UNSECURED with a 653 EQ score and a two month old BK7 d/c.  From what I've read increases should come with time in a big way as I tend the garden.  Thanks everyone. I never thought things would improve for me so much financially, I agonized over whether or not to file for over a year of making special arrangements with creditors and going to a debt management program.   It works!

congrats.  treat NFCU well and you'll be heavily rewarded.  As you've read, they've been a life-saver for many of us on here.

Fico 8 Scores 5/1/22 :
799 EQ | 793 TU | 809 EX
Message 1206 of 1,877
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've heard that using a fingerhut credit account is helpful as well. is this true?

Message 1207 of 1,877
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I've heard that using a fingerhut credit account is helpful as well. is this true?

I'm glad you asked this question because I read the same thing and opened an account yesterday for their actual credit card (not the fresh start loan thing).

Definitely looking forward to some insight on this!

Message 1208 of 1,877
Scupra
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Can't remember if it reports to all three CRA's or not. It does report as a revolving TL which does help.

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 1209 of 1,877
Anonymous
Not applicable

What does the "Give up" clause mean in  credit reports? I have 1 or  2 that have that in remarks? thanks

Message 1210 of 1,877
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.