cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HOW TO: From BK7 discharge to 700 in 24 months or less!

tag
nykos5000
Regular Contributor

Re: HOW TO: From BK7 discharge to 700 in 24 months or less!

That's strange as I was able to get a Credit One card before my discharge. Verify that the right information is reporting on all three bureaus. Although, YMWV. 

BK7 08/2016 | DC 12/2016

Message 1661 of 1,877
MauiMan85297
Established Contributor

Re: How to rebuild your score after a ch7 BK

I never made it to 700 in 2 years as a few things prevented me from doing this:

1) The biggest reason I believe is when it said at the time you should open up a credit builder loan through credit union-went to a local CU and they said I needed a 620 score to do that (was at 600 at the time), had to wait 3-4 months more and found a different CU that I was able to get it done but I thought by taking out a larger CD ($2k) that it would look better but the CD amount versus the loan balance for the last 8 months @ $85/mo has been affecting score (I didn't follow this method to the T and paid for it), so I paid off the CD yesterday.

2) For over 1.4 years of having all these cards I was pretty much at about 3% util but as I got closer to closing on a house my util went up to 23%.

All in all a great plan to follow, my TU is now at 667 my EQ is 680 and my EX is 663, my mid mortgage score is 680.  Scores started at mid 500's and I closed on a 30 yr VA loan @ 3.625% on Dec 6th 2016.  If it wasn't for these forums as well as "BK to 700 in 24 mos" I wouldn't be where I'm at today and no house.

Message 1662 of 1,877
redneck18
Contributor

Do you mind sharing your scores? Did you burn capital one? If you did burn capital one when did you first default with them?
Message 1663 of 1,877
MauiMan85297
Established Contributor

@redneck18 wrote:
Do you mind sharing your scores? Did you burn capital one? If you did burn capital one when did you first default with them?

If that question is pertaining to me I did burn C1 in my BK7 but it was only for $500 and was current prior to filing and C1 let me back in 11 months from discharge date with back to back approvals for QS (3k) and Venture (10k) back in the day you could app for 2 cards within 30 seconds.

Message 1664 of 1,877
redneck18
Contributor

No gsully00 it was for skyhighty, I haven't figured out how to quote someone on my not so smart phone. Shoot back in the day was only 6 months ago as my wife app'd and was approved for the QS1 and the platinum within moments of each other. I was quite sad to learn they had changed this policy by the time I got through my extensively long ch7 process.
Message 1665 of 1,877
MauiMan85297
Established Contributor

It's probably coming up on a year since they changed their policy for apping, once approved it's a 6 month wait before you can get another one.

Message 1666 of 1,877
Anonymous
Not applicable

So I am trying to follow the plan but I may be goofing up a bit.

I got a car loan right before discharge of a ch7 in august.  I also got a capital one 2K limit - in Sept.  My questions are 

1. I think I am paying the Cap One card too soon -  the reports on CK show 0 utilization.  Since I am paperless - do I just wait until there is a min payment due on the Cap One site before paying ?

2. I just got a "Preselected" offer from Discover.   Is it too soon to apply for that?

On a side note,  the Vantage 3 score on CK & Cap One shows a 670 score and the "FICO" score on Discover shows 637.   

Thanks,

NTG

Message 1667 of 1,877
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

So I am trying to follow the plan but I may be goofing up a bit.

I got a car loan right before discharge of a ch7 in august.  I also got a capital one 2K limit - in Sept.  My questions are 

1. I think I am paying the Cap One card too soon -  the reports on CK show 0 utilization.  Since I am paperless - do I just wait until there is a min payment due on the Cap One site before paying ?

2. I just got a "Preselected" offer from Discover.   Is it too soon to apply for that?

On a side note,  the Vantage 3 score on CK & Cap One shows a 670 score and the "FICO" score on Discover shows 637.   

Thanks,

NTG

Answers follow:

1. Yes, you have to wait for the statement to cut if you want to show utilization (and you do) - and yes, waiting for a minimum payment to show up is a pretty good indicator of statement cut  Smiley Very Happy

2. Probably too early - especially if you're currently showing no usage on your only card because you're paying it too soon  Smiley Wink  Give yourself at least 6 months of payment history before applying for card #2 if you can (I managed to wait 4...your mileage may vary  Smiley Tongue )

Good Luck!

Message 1668 of 1,877
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have recently filed bankruptcy and it was discharged the first week of January this year. I am in the process of having all of my credit reports updated with the correct information. However, I have had both Capital One and Credit One cards included in my bankruptcy. Any suggestions on how I can move forward with credit cards other than these?

Message 1669 of 1,877
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How to rebuild your score after a ch7 BK

How soon after a discharge, should I apply for a credit card?

Message 1670 of 1,877
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.