cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HOW TO: From BK7 discharge to 700 in 24 months or less!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: HOW TO: From BK7 discharge to 700 in 24 months or less!

@Scupra wrote:

There is no reason to wait for the card to report Smiley Happy You are safe to obtain the loan now.

Thanks for getting back to me. I was able to get the loan on Friday with the CU I mentioned above. They pulled my Credit score and came back as 672. Was a little shocked it was that high, could that be a FAKO score?

Message 1501 of 1,877
Scupra
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Scupra wrote:

There is no reason to wait for the card to report Smiley Happy You are safe to obtain the loan now.

Thanks for getting back to me. I was able to get the loan on Friday with the CU I mentioned above. They pulled my Credit score and came back as 672. Was a little shocked it was that high, could that be a FAKO score?

Not sure. You should be able to ask them what score version they pull. That info may help you in the future with them

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 1502 of 1,877
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

Hi Soulmaster, Scupra, and all my fellow myfico friends!!!!

I know it's been a while since I posted anything to this thread, but i had too.

I was sent an email about another on the personal finance board of myfico that listed a way to join NFCU legally if you're a civilian. I read it, called Navy Federal, confirmed it it was true. Then I got up out my beach chair, walked outside of the garden, and joined NCFU.

After opening checking, savings, and online accounts, I apped for NAVChek and a credit card. I was approved for $500 ON NAVCheck. I requested a low amount because I see no reason to have a high amount LOC for overdraft. I was also approved for a cash rewards credit card with a limit of $14,200 at 12.9%. I am impressed.

I am going to detail my expirience in a new thread soon. I hope everyone is doing well!!!

I'm going back to garden and sit out on the beach!

Life's a beach!

Guyatthebeach

Message 1503 of 1,877
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello, I'm a newish member here. NFCU is very popular. Will someone tell me why this bank is so useful when rebuilding credit? I'm with USAA one and wondering how the two institutions compare. I appreciate all replies.

Thanks.

Message 1504 of 1,877
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

used to bank with USAA and liked them. They are very conservative. If I remember right their secured card doesn't graduate.
Message 1505 of 1,877
Scupra
Super Contributor

NFCU is a MUCH better lender than USAA if you have a BK. NFCU is far more lenient! The USAA secured cards never graduated as stated above, while the NFCU card does potentially. If you can join NFCU I would give them a try and see what you think. Give them a call, 24/7, they are the nicest CSR's I've ever talked to. Good luck
Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 1506 of 1,877
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the response. I'll give them a look.

Message 1507 of 1,877
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am seeking advice for the next step of my rebuild.  I'm following the plan and doing well, approaching 5 months of having my CreditOne card and credit builder loan, so it's almost time to apply for another card.  I burned CapitalOne *and* Barclays and was discharged September 2015.  It seems like they will let me back in after a year, but I'd rather not waste inquiries on either of them if there is another card I can apply for (and hopefully keep and grow with).  I know some have had luck at this stage with Discover, but it seems many (all?) of these folks have a mortgage and Discover seems more willing to extend offers to homeowners.  I'm a renter, but I do have a car payment that I reaffirmed so there is some longer history with an installment loan that is reporting all on time and paid as agreed.    

Current scores: EQ 647, TU 630, EX 668 

Is there another card that it makes sense to apply for, in lieu of CapOne/Barclays?  Should I try for Discover?   Has anyone had success with them at this stage with no morgage?  

Message 1508 of 1,877
kjm79
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I am seeking advice for the next step of my rebuild.  I'm following the plan and doing well, approaching 5 months of having my CreditOne card and credit builder loan, so it's almost time to apply for another card.  I burned CapitalOne *and* Barclays and was discharged September 2015.  It seems like they will let me back in after a year, but I'd rather not waste inquiries on either of them if there is another card I can apply for (and hopefully keep and grow with).  I know some have had luck at this stage with Discover, but it seems many (all?) of these folks have a mortgage and Discover seems more willing to extend offers to homeowners.  I'm a renter, but I do have a car payment that I reaffirmed so there is some longer history with an installment loan that is reporting all on time and paid as agreed.    

Is there another card that it makes sense to apply for, in lieu of CapOne/Barclays?  Should I try for Discover?   Has anyone had success with them at this stage with no morgage?  

I would suggest trying the Cap1 Prequal site. If you are still blacklisted with them they won't even pull your credit. Same with Barclays. I burned Barclays and have tried to get a card with them about 4 months post D/C, they didn't even pull me. I recevied a letter a week letter with the denial reason being poor prior account history with them, or something along those lines. 

I was approved for my Discover about 5 months post BK D/C, my scores were just a little higher than yours are currently. No mortgage either. Barclays will want to see more history before letting you back in, but they will, probably about a year post D/C. I would try the Cap1 site before you try Discover. Cap1 blacklists you for about a year since your account was charged off, which I assume was before your BK was filed. Try the prequal and see what you get. When I first tried for Cap1 the prequal didn't match me to any offers but suggested the QS1 and Platinum, I hadn't burned them so I went ahead and took the risk. Approved for $2k on each card, one day after my D/C. 

CH 7 Filed 7/27/15 Discharged 11/16/15
Starting Score: EQ 620 TU 568 EX 593
Current Score (07/13/16): EQ 674 TU 649 EX 674 (FICO's 08)
Cap1 QS ($5350) (Combined QS and QS1) Discover It ($4100) MilStar ($8,600) Fingerhut ($800)
Off to the garden 05/01/16
Message 1509 of 1,877
stinastina
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

There is a thread on bk friendly cards if you want more suggestions and experiences: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Bankruptcy/Bankruptcy-friendly-credit-cards/td-p/963456/page/69

BK7 Discharge 1/16
10/15 ~ EQ: 406; TU: 520
10/18 ~ EX: 666; TU: 646; EQ: 652
Message 1510 of 1,877
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.