cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HOW TO: From BK7 discharge to 700 in 24 months or less!

tag
Scupra
Super Contributor

Re: HOW TO: From BK7 discharge to 700 in 24 months or less!

@Anonymous wrote:

@Scupra wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I received a letter from one of the CRA's stating that they denied my dispute.  I also received a denial from the creditor.  What is my next step to dispute the denial?
Is this when you send the Varification Demand?  Or is there a different way to handle it if I have received a response from the Creditor and CRA.

The accounts in question are old student loans that have a random 60 days past due in the middle of 2012.  I had a retroactive forberance in place and despite sending the proof of forberance they both have denied my claim.

Try to contact the creditor directly and ask them why they are reporting lates. If they say it is wrong ask them to send you a letter as proof and to update the correct info to the CRA's.

I attempted to contact FedLoan services to see if they coudl help me fix it.  The gal said that they normally only report once the loans hit 90 days, but since it is in 2012 when they would report once it hit 60 days they have found the reporting correct and will not do anything further.

I have my original forberance letter stating forberance from 9/2012 - 1/2013, but I was denied when I sent that to the specific CRA (though another CRA removed them).

I have seen a couple of people in the forums say that they were able to get FedLoan to remove things after some fighting, but I don't know what step to take next.

You could try a complaint with the CFPB against the CRA and FedLoan. After that I am out of ideas Smiley Happy Good luck!

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 1621 of 1,877
Anonymous
Not applicable

Contact your state dept. Of financial institutions.

Message 1622 of 1,877
theproblem
Established Member

Just a couple of things...

CreditOne's Platinum card has a monthly fee.  Is this the card everyone is getting?

Also, I burned NFCU.  Down the line when I want more credit, what other instituions are as generous as NFCU is with credit?  

Thanks.

Message 1623 of 1,877
nykos5000
Regular Contributor

@theproblem wrote:

Just a couple of things...

CreditOne's Platinum card has a monthly fee.  Is this the card everyone is getting?

Also, I burned NFCU.  Down the line when I want more credit, what other instituions are as generous as NFCU is with credit?  

Thanks.

Credit One is the card we all start with but you will cancel the card before the years up to not be charged the annual fee. It should be annually not monthly. 

BK7 08/2016 | DC 12/2016

Message 1624 of 1,877
Anonymous
Not applicable

How long do you have to wait for Credit One if you burned them.  They were one of the cards that I had in my filing.  Seems like all that are more leniant is Credit One, Capital One, PayPal, Amazon I've had in my filing.

Message 1625 of 1,877
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How to rebuild your score after a ch7 BK

Hello again!

I wanted to say thanks again, so far everything is going great following the forumula (I'm almost at 790 8 months after filing) - I wanted to ask about carrying a ballance for a few months though. We had some power surges yesterday that fried our work (from home) computers, we could have done more to be cautious (ups/insurance - we know.), but we messed up. They are moderatly expensive setups (1500-2000), we need to get one up and running ASAP. 

My wife and I both have 2K limit quicksilvers, if we used one to buy a new computer (lets say $1800) and then paid it down quickly, but not in a lump sum (maybe $300/mo.) would that negativly effect our score? 

We might be able to get the money less comfortable ways, but I figured I'd ask here first. Maybe I'm under/overthinking it? 

Thanks always!

Message 1626 of 1,877
Scupra
Super Contributor

Re: How to rebuild your score after a ch7 BK

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello again!

I wanted to say thanks again, so far everything is going great following the forumula (I'm almost at 790 8 months after filing) - I wanted to ask about carrying a ballance for a few months though. We had some power surges yesterday that fried our work (from home) computers, we could have done more to be cautious (ups/insurance - we know.), but we messed up. They are moderatly expensive setups (1500-2000), we need to get one up and running ASAP. 

My wife and I both have 2K limit quicksilvers, if we used one to buy a new computer (lets say $1800) and then paid it down quickly, but not in a lump sum (maybe $300/mo.) would that negativly effect our score? 

We might be able to get the money less comfortable ways, but I figured I'd ask here first. Maybe I'm under/overthinking it? 

Thanks always!

Your score would be impacted while your utilization is increased. After the util. is fixed your score will rebound right back Smiley Happy

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 1627 of 1,877
Anonymous
Not applicable

OMG I can just kill myself (not literally) for not rebuilding sooner rather than much later. I am post BK 5 years, thats right, 5 this past May. Up until a year ago I didn't open up any CC in fear of not true responsibility of credit. So I've always used my debit card or worse--flat out paid cash!

Wow. I feel like such a fool. This just proves that I have much much much to learn from all of you veterans and newbies alike. Thanks so much for this steadily increased knowledge base. I am forever subscribed to this thread for life lol!

Message 1628 of 1,877
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

OMG I can just kill myself (not literally) for not rebuilding sooner rather than much later. I am post BK 5 years, thats right, 5 this past May. Up until a year ago I didn't open up any CC in fear of not true responsibility of credit. So I've always used my debit card or worse--flat out paid cash!

Wow. I feel like such a fool. This just proves that I have much much much to learn from all of you veterans and newbies alike. Thanks so much for this steadily increased knowledge base. I am forever subscribed to this thread for life lol!

Those scores are pretty good for 5 years with no credit activity. 

Don't feel like a fool, everyone is different. I bet if you just get a couple of credit cards and one installment loan, your scores will be in the 700's in 6 monthes.

Guyatthebeach

Message 1629 of 1,877
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Guyatthebeach wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Those scores are pretty good for 5 years with no credit activity. 

Don't feel like a fool, everyone is different. I bet if you just get a couple of credit cards and one installment loan, your scores will be in the 700's in 6 monthes.

Guyatthebeach

I have full faith that I can commit to making my goal a true reality very soon. I actually have an installment loan through my CU and also looked into having my rental payments applied to my TU CR to add an extra boost, which was very nice. 

Thanks for the encouragement Smiley Happy

Message 1630 of 1,877
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.