cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HOW TO: From BK7 discharge to 700 in 24 months or less!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How to rebuild your score after a ch7 BK

@stinastina wrote:

Soulmaster's quote is interesting to me because I had read from other posters that lates will stay on your report, even if you IIB. I think I will give the one account I have showing as late and IIB a dispute and see how that goes.

I had the same Q and have read the same things in posts here - that CRAs are allowed to continue to report lates post-discharge; that EQ and TU will remove but EX is stubborn and continues to report. (Personally, so far only EQ has removed for me.) If you do dispute, let us know how it goes. 

Message 1821 of 1,877
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@stinastina wrote:

Soulmaster's quote is interesting to me because I had read from other posters that lates will stay on your report, even if you IIB. I think I will give the one account I have showing as late and IIB a dispute and see how that goes.

I had the same Q and have read the same things in posts here - that CRAs are allowed to continue to report lates post-discharge; that EQ and TU will remove but EX is stubborn and continues to report. (Personally, so far only EQ has removed for me.) If you do dispute, let us know how it goes. 

I was able to remove some but not all.  I didn't really worry about it a lot, because during the first two years of my rebuild I had to recon every application. I had multiple analysts say they knew that those lates were due to my bankrupcty. It's extremely important to make sure you have a perfect payment history, to show them you can handle repaying your debt.

The only ones I didn't have to recon at the early phase of my rebuild were for the Apple Barclay Visa, CapitalOne, and Walmart store card. I literally had to recon every single application until I reached year 5 post bankruptcy. At the point I didn't have to recon my 10k CapitalOne Venture card, PNC Visa, and my Amican Express.

At this point, I have never been able to get back into Discover Card, Chase, US Bank, or Bank of America. I have stopped applying last year. There really arent anymore cards I really I want. I think I have more than enough.  

Trust me if you follow SoulMaster's plan, you will be set for life.

Guyatthebeach

Message 1822 of 1,877
stinastina
Established Contributor

Just an update on a stubborn collection on EX. It looks like it was posting lates from 2013-2015. BK was 10/2015. It was not a revolving account so I'm not sure why it would post late every month - I had no payment agreement with that company.  So I disputed last month with EX. Within a week, the company removed all lates except 9/2015 and 10/2015 but then added 9/2017 ! Which of course, violates BK law.

I called EX again and they said they did what they could and I needed to dispute with the CA. Faxed the CA a dispute letter and they mailed me a letter recently stating I had a zero balance with them. I checked my EX and saw no change. Called EX and was transferred to a different dept, this time I spoke to an American and she understood what I was trying to convey. She stated that what looked like a "late" was actually a report of the account. It was like saying every month for 2 years, I did not pay that debt. She said that it was EX who made the notation each month and I told her that it could not be indicated as a collection in 10/15 or 9/17 because that violated BK law. She removed it and is sending me a fresh copy of my EX in the mail.

I hope this helps someone. If you need more info or a screenshot, let me know.

BK7 Discharge 1/16
10/15 ~ EQ: 406; TU: 520
10/18 ~ EX: 666; TU: 646; EQ: 652
Message 1823 of 1,877
Anonymous
Not applicable

For the step:

2. Run through with a pen and make sure that ALL accounts that were included in bankruptcy are noted as:

a. Zero Balance

b. Included in Bankruptcy

c. Current (not "default/derogatory" status"

3. For any accounts that do not meet all of the criteria in #2, file a dispute "Included in Bankruptcy" and "Incorrect Balance"

I'm looking at my Accounts tab (in my FICO Score 3B Report) and for the above, am I just looking at the "Payment Status"?  And ignoring "WORST DELINQUENCY"?

For my car payment, I reaffirmed my lease for my car and have paid it off within 2 months of my discharge.

The Payment Status is [EQ-Pays account as agreed] [TU-Paid or paying as agreed] [EX-Paid account/was delinquent 90 days past due date]

Am I able to dispute this?  I did stop making payments right after I filed my BK, filed court documents for reaffirming the debt (a couple of months afterwards) and than made the payments to pay it off (a couple more months afterwards).

Target Card - had 0 balance and I didn't include it in my BK paperwork, but has been closed by Target after I filed my BK

[EQ-Included in Bankruptcy] [TU-Unrated] [EX-Debt included in or discharged through Bankruptcy Chapter 7, 11, or 12]

Do I dispute this?

Capital One - I worked out a settlement prior to my BK to pay back 50% owed in 12 monthly payments.  I made all 12 payments prior to filing my BK.

[EQ-Charge-off] [TU-Payment after charge off/collection] [EX-Account legally paid in full for less than the full balance]

Is this fine?

Thank you!  I'm so grateful that there's is a forum for this!

Message 1824 of 1,877
stinastina
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

For the step:

2. Run through with a pen and make sure that ALL accounts that were included in bankruptcy are noted as:

a. Zero Balance

b. Included in Bankruptcy

c. Current (not "default/derogatory" status"

3. For any accounts that do not meet all of the criteria in #2, file a dispute "Included in Bankruptcy" and "Incorrect Balance"

I'm looking at my Accounts tab (in my FICO Score 3B Report) and for the above, am I just looking at the "Payment Status"?  And ignoring "WORST DELINQUENCY"?

That sounds like it is an overview page. You are concerned with details of each creditor.

For my car payment, I reaffirmed my lease for my car and have paid it off within 2 months of my discharge.

The Payment Status is [EQ-Pays account as agreed] [TU-Paid or paying as agreed] [EX-Paid account/was delinquent 90 days past due date]

Am I able to dispute this?  I did stop making payments right after I filed my BK, filed court documents for reaffirming the debt (a couple of months afterwards) and than made the payments to pay it off (a couple more months afterwards).

You cannot have lates after your bk was filed. I would dispute EX only and explain they cannot report you late after the BK.

Target Card - had 0 balance and I didn't include it in my BK paperwork, but has been closed by Target after I filed my BK

[EQ-Included in Bankruptcy] [TU-Unrated] [EX-Debt included in or discharged through Bankruptcy Chapter 7, 11, or 12]

Do I dispute this?

I would dispute EQ and EX since you did not nclude it in BK.

Capital One - I worked out a settlement prior to my BK to pay back 50% owed in 12 monthly payments.  I made all 12 payments prior to filing my BK.

[EQ-Charge-off] [TU-Payment after charge off/collection] [EX-Account legally paid in full for less than the full balance]

Is this fine?

I would dispute EQ for sure because you did pay. Was it charged off before bk ? If yes, I would not dispute TU. If it was not charged off, I would dispute TU also.

Thank you!  I'm so grateful that there's is a forum for this!

BK7 Discharge 1/16
10/15 ~ EQ: 406; TU: 520
10/18 ~ EX: 666; TU: 646; EQ: 652
Message 1825 of 1,877
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: HOW TO: From BK7 discharge to 700 in 24 months or less!

I filed ch7 in Feb 2016. Didn't start my rebuild until May 2017 after I came across this forum thread. At that point I opened the creditone card, and already had a student loan paying on time. It's now been 6 months so I applied for the capitalone card and was declined (I burned them in the ch7). Any thoughts as to which card, if any, I should try? Discovers prequalify never actually says im preapproved or not, so im guessing it's a no. I will say Capitalone at least didn't pull my report so it won't be a hit on credit report. I also had to finally get a new car last month which I had to take out a loan for as well, so I now have the auto loan, student loan and the creditone card.
Message 1826 of 1,877
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover recently changed their pre-approval site, it’s pretty solid. If your getting a solid offer, go for it. 

Message 1827 of 1,877
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Everyone, I need some help. I got my discharge last week and was instantly approved for Cap One Plat MC $3000cl. I reaffirmed my car and it has never been late, I have around $8000 of student loans which never been late. I have checked my reports and everything is reporting correctly. I currently have a savings and Checking acount with NFCU, it's not my main bank but I have been using it regulary. When should I apply for one of their cards and which card should I apply for? According to Capital One's creditwise my score shows 657, I think they use TU? I am too cheap to pay to find out my score.

Message 1828 of 1,877
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I am too cheap to pay to find out my score.

That's pretty cheap, considering it costs $1 to get all three.

Message 1829 of 1,877
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi Everyone, I need some help. I got my discharge last week and was instantly approved for Cap One Plat MC $3000cl. I reaffirmed my car and it has never been late, I have around $8000 of student loans which never been late. I have checked my reports and everything is reporting correctly. I currently have a savings and Checking acount with NFCU, it's not my main bank but I have been using it regulary. When should I apply for one of their cards and which card should I apply for? According to Capital One's creditwise my score shows 657, I think they use TU? I am too cheap to pay to find out my score.

Wait one year for NFCU.

Get one more card in about 6 months. Make sure it's something you'll get approved for so you don't waste inquiries.  (see BK friendly credit cards thread here.)

Pay everything on time, only let one card report a balance less than 8.9% of it's limits, keep your inquiries low, and NFCU should be very good to you when it's time. (if they don't floor you with the starting limit, keep the faith and keep doing everything listed here and you should get a nice CLI post 90 days.)

Also, take this time to get on detailed budget, cut expenses and start saving as much as you can. Just about all our problems with debt stem from lack of a budget and/or lack of savings.

Good luck!

Message 1830 of 1,877
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.