Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone been successful at...

tag
Divadeuce007

Has anyone been successful at...

Hi all,

I am nearly 3 years post-discharge of my Chapter7 BK.... Unfortunately I was a fairly easy target when I entered college and ended up filling when I was 25. I had inquired about discharge of student loan debt back when I was going thru the BK process, however, I was told that it would be nearly impossible to get any of my loans included. 3 years later I am still in the same living situation as I was then. I am a professional volunteer (by way of AmeriCorps/PeaceCorps) and have stayed a student simply because my private student loans are way too much per month. By too much I mean, I make $900 a month, I pay bills and transportation cost to get to work, and one of my loan servicers want $405 a month. I have over $200K in student loans thus far. I recently put my federally backed loans into a direct loan consolidation, where I plan to do an income based or income contingent repayment plan. This only takes care of about $89K of my student loan debt.

Again, I am still in school because I am afraid to come out at this point, there is no way I will be able to pay for those private loans. None of my servicers want to help me, In three years I have not been able to find a F/T job that will pay me nearly enough to handle my finances how I would like to, despite my education and skills, and I don't foresee any of this changing. My current thought is to figure out a way to consolidate my private loans so that I can at the bare minimum release my mom from the bondage this is being a co-signer on one of these student loans. But I wasn't sure how successful I would be at that.

I guess, my question(s) to you all are:

1) Has anyone been successful at consolidating private student loans, post BK? Was your credit score high? Low?

2) Has anyone every been successful at having their BK or re-opening their BK so that it would include student loan debt? Can you add certain loans and not others? 

I'm not sure what my options could possibly be at this point. But I wanted to ask anyway.

EQ 627 3/3
TR 625 3/3
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

Re: Has anyone been successful at...

Student loans can no longer be discharged. You can look into loan forgiveness to see if you qualify.

After you are no longer a student and your loans go into repayment, they can be deferred for 5 years and deferred again after that if needed. Something to consider.
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 2 of 3
aussiesareforever
Established Contributor

Re: Has anyone been successful at...

I think you may get more answers in the student loan section. Maybe ask the mods to close this thread and move it to the SL section...

BK in January 2008---Barclay's Apple Financing Card ($10,000) --- Capital One Quicksilver ($13,000)--- Platinum Delta Skymiles ($35,000) --- GEMB CareCredit ($10,000) --- AUFCU ($10000)---Discover IT ($33,000)

Experian 835 Transunion 828-- August 2018
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.