cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Haven't discharge

tag
Letty

Haven't discharge

I haven't received my discharge on my bankruptcy yet is been 63 day since 341 date. Yesterday I applied for capital one and it was denied and I also applied for jcpenny and DENIED! Can I get in trouble for applying before my bankruptcy being discharge? When should I reapply for jc penny?
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Haven't discharge

Do not apply for any credit until the discharge comes thru. Any credit you may be granted before it would actually be discharged as well so no one is going to give you any before it occurs.

Message 2 of 10
starry1
Valued Contributor

Its possible to get in trouble for apping for new credit prior to discharge, but not very likely since you've already had your 341 meeting.  You're more likely to get slammed if you try to get new credit prior to the 341.

And you are totally wasting inquiries applying before your discharge comes through.  You'll have to wait until you get it, and then make sure your report is completely updated before anyone will approve you.  I've heard here and there of people being approved prior to discharge, but that is definitely the exception, not the rule.

This post probably should have been in bankruptcy rather than cc approvals.

Starting Score: 11/29/12 TU 527; EQ 565; EX 564 fako - bk7 dc'd 2/15/13
Current Score: 1/22/15 TU 645; EQ 605; EX 633 New goal 675
Cap1 sec $1k (SD) / Fingerhut $2k / Flagship $12k / cashRewards $12k / NavChek $15k / Amazon $2k / Von Maur $1k / Firestone $2.2k / BCU $3k / NFL $1k / QS1 $750 / Target $400 / PPSC $800 / Conoco $700 (last app 09/29/14)
Message 3 of 10
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

Do not apply for any credit until the discharge comes thru. Any credit you may be granted before it would actually be discharged as well so no one is going to give you any before it occurs.

I do not believe that statement is accurate. If a debt is not listed on the ch7 application, then it is not included in the bankruptcy. Now applying for credit while in the process of bankruptcy will not make the trustee happy at all and may in fact be a violation of your filing agrrement.

Message 4 of 10
Countingpennies
Established Contributor

Sorry, but I don't believe either above statement is correct. A creditor does not have to be listed in Chapter 7 to be discharged. However, the discharge is for debts incurred up to the date of filing, not after. During a Chapter 13, trustee's permission is usually required before incurring any new debt, not so in a 7. Any debts you incur after filing, can't be discharged in your current BK, or for a number of years (I think it's 8,) in a new BK.

Before discharge is just not the best time to apply. Your scores won't be their best, and most likely your reports will take sometime to update correctly, and most often need intervention to do so. You may be wasting inquiries needlessly.

Message 5 of 10
Letty

Bankruptcy

I had my 341 meeting October 14 I'm 63 past meeting and I haven't received my discharge and yesterday u apply for capital one and jc penny and was DENIED! Could it be cause I haven't discharge yet? Can I get in trouble for applying without being discharge?
Message 6 of 10
notfancy
Valued Contributor

added to what was posted above, you could also consult your attorney for clarification.

625 EQ FICO Current Score: 660 DCU EQ FICO/ 645 Scorewatch EQ FICO , EX FICO 664, TU FICO 737 (08/2014)
Goal Score: 700   Seedling again as of 07/29/14
Message 7 of 10
notfancy
Valued Contributor

Re: Bankruptcy

625 EQ FICO Current Score: 660 DCU EQ FICO/ 645 Scorewatch EQ FICO , EX FICO 664, TU FICO 737 (08/2014)
Goal Score: 700   Seedling again as of 07/29/14
Message 8 of 10
Letty

Thanks everyone for your response. I checked this morning my pacer account AND I WAS DISCHARGE already!!!! I soo excited Smiley Happy)
Message 9 of 10
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

@Letty wrote:
Thanks everyone for your response. I checked this morning my pacer account AND I WAS DISCHARGE already!!!! I soo excited Smiley Happy)

Congratulation. Next thing you may want to do is pull all three of your credit reports and ensure that every entry is reporting accurately.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.