Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! Medical Bill sold after discharge

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Help! Medical Bill sold after discharge

On my credit report I have a medical bill that was discharged in my Chapter 7 bankruptcy in 2005. But it does not show up on my matrix of creditor. Now it is showing up as a collection and the CA was assigned it in September of 2008. How can I get this collection of my report? Is there a certain letter I can write and send them? Please help!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Help! Medical Bill sold after discharge

Actually in that case I would try to call them, simply because when it happened to me that was the fastest, easiest way to deal with it. If you can't locate a phone number for them or can't reach a person, then I would write them a letter telling them that assignation of the debt in September and subsequent reporting as such constitutes an illegal attempt to collect a debt that was discharged in bankruptcy in 2005. They may want your attorney's phone number and they may want to see the discharge letter. No harm there. They should pull it pretty quickly.
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

To clarify I should contact the CA? I have the papers the CA sent me and it has a phone number. There is also one on my husbands credit that is showing from the same CA and OC. Would it be wise to inform the CA of that when I call them?

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I called the CA and they asked me to send proof that it was discharge in my bankruptcy. I faxed a copy of my discharge and am hoping that that will clear it up. Since it was sold to a CA after it was discharged do they have to remove it from my credit report. It was obtained by the CA in Sept of 2008. The original debt was discharged in 2005.
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

send rebuttal to credit reporting agency with list of the account as discharged.
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I faxed a copy of the discharge and the name of my  bk attorney to them and now I received a letter stating they can't verify the information and want me to submit the following:

1- the bk court

2- bankruptcy case number

3- name of persons filed

4- chapter number

5- name and phone of the attorney

Also a list of creditor. The Original credit was not on my bk, but it was a no assets chapter 7 case. Do I have to contact my attorney to amend my schedule? What can I do. These CA's are horrible.

The fax I sent them contained all the information they are asking for again but the creditor matrix.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Stay calm. It shouldn't matter that the creditor was not listed, especially since you were discharged in '05 before the newer BK laws. There is strong case law to support that your intent was to discharge all outstanding debt.

I would send them by certified mail w/return receipt a copy of your discharge (which should also give them your attorney's name and number. Tell them that credit reporting after the discharge date is illegal and that you expect the account to be removed from your credit reports immediately. If they have any further questions they can contact your attorney.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Others may disagree, but most CAs will let it go after they get proof of the BK. Then you can dispute it with the CRAs if it still shows. Don't ever send copies of your BK papers to any of the CRAs.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.