Credit Card Center Advertiser Disclosure

0 Kudos

Re: Help Obtaining an Auto Loan after Chapter 7 discharge

SSH0126 wrote:

How much of a deposit did Carmax want? 

homie_braxton wrote:

Here's an update, reached out to Carmax and got two offers...problem is still the down payment amount. So I guess I just have to wait until I'm able to come up with a nice down payment amount. Hella discouraged makes me wonder why I even filled. SMH

For one lender it was $2300 for the other it was $2600...funny becuase I went to a ford dealership who told me $1800 to $2000 and this was just this past Friday.

Established Contributor
0 Kudos

Man how much were you trying to get financed? What were your payment amounts going to be? We used santander once with carmax burned them

homie_braxton wrote:

SSH0126 wrote:

homie_braxton wrote:

Here's an update, reached out to Carmax and got two offers...problem is still the down payment amount. So I guess I just have to wait until I'm able to come up with a nice down payment amount. Hella discouraged makes me wonder why I even filled. SMH

For one lender it was $2300 for the other it was $2600...funny becuase I went to a ford dealership who told me $1800 to $2000 and this was just this past Friday.

0 Kudos

$14k for a Nissan Altima S 

SSH0126 wrote:

Man how much were you trying to get financed? What were your payment amounts going to be? We used santander once with carmax burned them

homie_braxton wrote:

SSH0126 wrote:

homie_braxton wrote:

Established Contributor
0 Kudos

Jeez thats a lot right???

0 Kudos

Right with payments being in the 400s like NOPE.

So my best bet would be to find a dealer who can actually work with $500 down or just save for a nicer down payment and rebuild while doing so.

SSH0126 wrote:

Jeez thats a lot right???

Regular Contributor
0 Kudos

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but I would recommend sticking with your old car for at least 6 months (even a year if you can stomach it).  Your terms for an auto loan are going to be much better once your BK ages and you've done a little rebuilding with starter credit cards.

Back in 2006, I totaled my car just 2 months after my BK7 was discharged. All the dealers I went to at that time wanted at least $2K down payment, and interest rates were between 12-18%. I ended up going to my local public auto auction and buying an 8-year-old Chevy Cavalier for $1000 cash. It wasn't glamorous but it was surprisingly reliable for such a cheap car.  Then in early 2009, when my scores were still only in the high 600s, I bought a brand new Toyota Camry, zero down and "tier 1" rate (around 5% IIRC) for 60 months.  It was worth the wait.

Current scores high 600s on EX/EQ/TU.

Amex Platinum NPSL - NFCU Platinum $17,900 - Chase Ritz $14,000 - PenFed Promise $5000 - Synchrony PayPal MC $5000 - Barclay AA $4000 - Merrick Bank $2400 - USAA Amex $2000 - Local CU Visa Classic $1600 - Cap 1 $1650 - Amex Delta Gold $1000 - Chase Freedom Unlimited $500 + several store cards.
Frequent Contributor

Lord, I don't know how many times I have to write the same thing every time I see a post like this? Please people go pre-approved to a dealership!

Try carfinance.com and Wells Fargo, very easy and super bk friendly.
BK Discharged 06/02/2016 SCORES AROUND 475

Current scores:
EXP-667
EQ-654
TU-653
Established Contributor
0 Kudos

Don't and keep scrolling

Thanks you all for the responses. I'm going to try Carfinance and Wells Fargo. Wish me luck. I'll be back to update ya.
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

SOMETHING will turn up Homie. Smiley Happy

Ch7 BK filed 7/5/16, DC 10/12/16

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

† Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
‡ Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

* For complete information, see the terms and conditions on the credit card issuer’s website. Once you click apply for this card, you will be directed to the issuer’s website where you may review the terms and conditions of the card before applying. While myFICO always strives to present the most accurate information, we show a summary to help you choose a product, not the full legal terms - and before applying you should understand the full terms of products as stated by the issuer itself.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.